Mountain View, CA
Cora – Engineering Management
Cora began as a dream. A self-piloting air taxi so personal and so simple it could take the trips we make everyday, the ones that define our lives, and bring them to the sky. We’ve been at work on Cora since 2010, tackling some of the biggest challenges in aviation. Today, that dream is one step closer. Join us in making that dream a reality.
Reporting to the CEO, the Senior Vice President of Engineering will work with Cora’s senior leaders to establish the vision and roadmap for Cora’s technologies. The Senior Vice President of Engineering will work closely with the CTO, heads of Product Management, Business Development, Policy, and Strategy in addition to the technical team to craft the winning product and service plan for the Urban Air Mobility market. The successful candidate will also play a significant role in participating and supporting regulatory efforts in this innovative space and will be proficient in leading small and large development teams integrating technologies and complying with regulations.
The SVP of Engineering will be a key part of the leadership team and will need a combination of business focus and demonstrated technical leadership acumen. This position will be responsible for directing the work of the heads of software, hardware, quality, system engineering, program management, flight test, and certification.
The successful candidate will be respected in the aerospace engineering community as a highly organized self-starter who has direct hands-on experience developing and building type certified aircraft, from initial concept through flight testing and certification, with the technical breadth necessary to oversee all functions within the engineering team. He/She must have strong experience as an organizational leader with a proven track record of hiring and overseeing highly talented and successful aerospace engineering teams. In this leadership role, the candidate must be proactive, forward thinking and self-motivated with the ability to build and lead a team of like-minded engineers.
- Build, lead and manage all parts of the company engineering organization Foster a culture that inspires high levels of performance and accountability
- Balance the need for innovation with the development requirements and process of a type certified aircraft
- Define the overarching design, analysis, test and certification approach
- Prioritize and allocate budget and resources for the engineering team
- Set annual goals and pro-actively analyze metrics to drive process improvements within engineering
- Effectively partner with other members of the executive team to balance and achieve company goals
- Maintain strong communications about project status to the executive team and board of directors
- Demonstrated success leading an aerospace engineering organization with multiple functional areas, including new technology projects versus legacy systems
- Thorough understanding of certification requirementsAbility to drive accountability appropriately within the organization, especially in service to schedule, scope and cost
- Strategic thinker with very strong decision making and communication skills
- Highly self-motivated with a strong bias for action, and excellent problem solving skills across multidisciplinary skill sets
- Demonstrable experience selecting, managing, developing and motivating technically diverse teams.
- An excellent communicator (verbal and written) internally and externally, able to represent the company to the highest standards and report effectively to the CEO and senior management team on Engineering strategy, performance and outlook.
- A visionary leader who can adapt and drive innovation and performance as the company goes through rapid growth
- Collaborative leader with experience in both large and small companies; must combine the entrepreneurial focus demanded in small company environments with the ability to navigate and get things done
- Fosters an inclusive environment for the Engineering team including mentorship, guidance and encourage open communication regarding challenges and suggestions for technology and project evolution
- Manages multiple projects simultaneously with an appropriate sense of urgency
- Able to quickly assimilate knowledge about new industry sectors and technologies
- Capable of analyzing, interpreting, drawing conclusions and implementing solutions on a variety of complex issues
- Quick-minded; creative and driven while remaining action and results oriented
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Aeronautical, Aerospace, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- Master’s Degree or PhD strongly preferred
- 15+ years of direct experience in the design, development, build, qualification, test and certification in FAA or EASA certification projects and/or related projects
- Proven experience in a leadership roles of increasing responsibility.
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), alternative work schedule (9/80), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
Cora Aero provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cora Aero abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Cora Aero is an E-Verify employer.