Staff Writer (Personal Finance)
Los Angeles, CA
Marketing – Content Marketing
Who We Are
Core Digital Media is a leading digital marketer and provider of online solutions that enable people to save money across a variety of personal finance products. Our products – which include LowerMyBills, ClassesUSA, WalletJoy, and PolicyPilot – are fueled by an industry-leading marketing platform that connects tens of millions of people with a wide range of financial institutions who can help improve those people’s lives.
WalletJoy supports financial newcomers of any background with guidance, tools, and technological resources that deliver tangible financial outcomes. By prioritizing our community and life experiences, we help people navigate their finances with confidence so they can de-stress, focus on the moment, and make better financial decisions.
Who You Are
As the Staff Writer, your main objective is to write high-quality content that aligns with the vision of new personal finance resource, WalletJoy.com. You will craft a variety of content types, from blogs to guides as well as data-driven, research-based reporting, and more.
How You’ll Contribute
As the Staff Writer and subject matter expert for new personal finance brand, WalletJoy, you will play a critical role in building the reputation of WalletJoy as an authoritative, unique, engaging, and informative personal finance resource.
- Write high-quality, engaging, and shareable content that adheres to WalletJoy’s voice, AP style, and SEO and web best practices. (Content types may include, but are not limited to: evergreen guides, first-person essays, studies, survey reports, video scripts, website copy, email copy, etc.)
- Source and interview authoritative subject matter experts and compelling personalities for interviews that add authenticity and flavor to your work
- Regularly pitch new ideas and suggestions to support in WalletJoy content goals and initiatives
- Represent the WalletJoy brand by responding to media inquiries as our subject matter expert.
- Research and review competitors, SEO keyword trends, and analytics to inform your brainstorming as well as writing decisions
- Track trends in the personal finance space to support the continual growth of WalletJoy.com
- Collaborate with Partnerships, PR, Video, Social, Product, and UX teams as needed on editorial projects.
- A minimum of 5 years covering personal finance topics for a digital publication
- An idea generator who stays on top of trends and loves finding new ways to approach tired topics
- Eagerness to shape WalletJoy’s voice and brand identity through engaging storytelling
- Ability to distill complex financial concepts and topics into readable, shareable, and engaging content
- Clear understanding of how to naturally incorporate SEO into your writing
- Excellent planning, attention to detail, and follow-through skills
- Ability to work on quick turnaround articles alongside longer-term deadlines
- Comfortable with ambiguity, taking initiative, getting resourceful, and driving forward solutions
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, or a related field
- Experience with a platform like Kapost, Trello, JIRA, Confluence, or Monday.com
- Background in data journalism and the ability to analyze data sets and parse insights from dense reports
- Relevant professional certification (such as CFA)
To Apply Please Submit the Following:
- A cover letter that shows how you meet (or exceed!) the qualifications listed. (Here’s your chance to let your writing shine.)
- A resume detailing your qualifications for this role and accomplishments
- Your writing portfolio highlighting your three best clips that demonstrate your ability to write content that educates, delights, and engages