Manager of Administration
Have you ever wondered what’s buzzing in your community? Want to make it easier for everyday citizens to engage in their local democracy? Looking to make a difference?
Cortico is building the Local Voices Network (LVN), a unique physical-digital network designed to bring under-heard community voices, perspectives and stories to the center of a healthier public dialogue. We believe this network will help bridge the growing division we're seeing across our country.
You can help us build out this conversation network, and the group of volunteers that power it - the Conversation Corps. We have developed our own physical audio device (the "Digital Hearth") and are organizing local volunteers across America to host community conversations.
At Cortico, you'll work on a creative team, in cooperation with the Laboratory for Social Machines at the MIT Media Lab, who possess a wide variety of experience ranging from community organizing, hardware design, machine learning, policymaking, and journalism. We believe in serving our communities with trust, compassionate connection, and creativity. We seek to blend our technical capabilities with those only a human can provide. Your voice and your ideas will have an impact in the direction we take in improving our democracy.
About the Job
The Manager of Administration, reporting to the COO, will work in close partnership with senior leadership to manage and continuously improve Cortico's financial and operational processes.
Core Duties & Responsibilities
- Serve as a partner to the senior leadership on the organization's administrative and operational processes, with a goal of continuously developing and improving systems.
- Evaluate and improve Cortico’s information technology infrastructure, implementing new technologies to support key capabilities as required for future growth, and to support and drive key human resource initiatives.
- Partner with senior leadership to ensure that the focus remains on the organization’s mission while maintaining the culture that makes Cortico unique.
- Oversee incoming/outgoing cash flow and monitor overall budget and accounting processes.
- Participate in organizational life via staff meetings, events, and other meetings necessary to effective team work.
- Engage in all reporting and documentation requirements to maintain effective and reliable organizational systems.
- Help to identify and assess potential new areas of partnership for Cortico, especially with vendors and sponsors.
- Support marketing strategy and innovation via social media and identifying emerging markets.
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and bookkeeping
- Experience with audit, legal compliance, and budget development
- General management skills
- Proven effectiveness managing others, empowering them to make decisions
- Technologically savvy, with experience overseeing information technology staff or vendors
- Experience effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, the Board or other outside partners/influencers/clients
- Success seeing beyond the numbers, identifying trends and new possibilities
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent workplace experience
- Deep connection to Cortico’s mission and guiding values
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills, extremely collegial
- Outstanding communications skills, written and oral
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and good judgment
- Hands-on, leads by example
- Values diversity of thought, backgrounds and perspectives
- Ability to multitask while maintaining vigilant attention to details
- Integrity/ethics beyond reproach, especially with sensitive data
- Constantly looking to apply best practices
- Predisposition to mentor and subsequently increase responsibilities as team develops
We're an equal opportunity employer and celebrate diversity at Cortico. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.