Architecture Intern - Summer 2019
Georgia - Atlanta
CSC (Corporate) – Interior Design and Architecture
At Cortland, you map the story of your success. We don't adhere to the status quo, we love outside industry perspective, and we thrive on exploring possibilities and reimagining solutions. As an innovative leader in multifamily, our high performance continues to drive exponential growth – and we invite you to join us on our journey towards real estate excellence. With tools and guidance to sharpen your skills, you can forge your own career path, love what you do, and let it show.
As an Architect Intern, you report to the Director of Architecture, assisting with all architecture activities related to design, project administration, team coordination and vendor coordination, and concept development. Here are the roles you'll play:
- Assist with conceptual design, schematic design, and design development
- Analyze design concept of buildings and spaces in 2D/3D, translate them into plan, elevations, sections and perspective view drawings, and create design presentations using freehand sketches and 2D/3D modeling and rendering software, including Building Information Modeling (BIM) using Revit
- Assist in design and concept development
The Team Player
- Assist in managing client expectations, team communication, and consultant coordination
- Provide project team coordination for the finished plans, specifications, and material selections required for construction
- Coordinate with vendors to translate designs into material selection for manual presentation packages
- Perform other duties as assigned or instructed
- Assist in the preparation of oral and written presentations on the design and production of projects; assist in the presentation and explanation of proposals, reports, and findings
- Attend internal meetings to ensure design specifications are coordinated with drawings
- Participate in the construction administration of projects and review of submittals and finish samples
- Contribute to office activities, initiatives, and learning programs
THE IMPACT YOU CAN MAKE
- Our managers and senior executives have pegged you as an “unconventional thinker” and “future leader.”
- You’re so effective in collaborating with a wide variety of roles — not to mention a wide range of personalities — that there’s talk of nominating you for office mayor!
- Your enthusiasm for learning and volunteering to help is so contagious, your colleagues feel extra motivated and seem to have a little more pep in their step.
YOUR BUILDING BLOCKS OF SUCCESS
- Full-time sophomore or junior college student enrolled in an architecture discipline with a 3.5 GPA or higher
- Proficiency using Revit and Microsoft Office applications required; experience with Photoshop and SketchUp is a plus
- General knowledge of construction principles and practices
- Ability to interpret applicable building codes, local ordinances, and regulatory agencies
- Interest or background in any of the following is a plus: design build project experience, affordable multifamily and mixed-use housing design, or sustainable and green building practices
- Working knowledge of current construction materials and methods
- Ability to formulate sound, educated decisions; strong self-confidence
- Knowledge of architecture and architectural principles and techniques; knowledge of building materials and construction methods
- Flexibility to evolve with various challenges and directions as new projects and initiative unfold
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, demanding, dynamic work environment; disciplined work ethic with great attitude and energy
- Excellent, problem-solving, planning, time-management, and organizational skills
- Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with project personal, working independently and as part of a multi-disciplined team
THE CORTLAND DIFFERENCE
At Cortland, we create, reimagine, and manage apartment communities for residents nationwide. Headquartered in Atlanta, GA, we have communities and regional offices all over the country, as well as overseas. From product design and procurement to general contracting and property management, we do it all – to make sure our communities are the perfect setting for living life to its fullest.
Our success is fueled by our belief in a better life – where hospitality is always a given, each detail is worth a second thought, and every open door is a new opportunity to go beyond expectations. We come to work every day to create possibilities for people – possibilities that translate into superior living spaces and experiences designed to inspire our residents, associates, and investors to live a better life focused on what matters most to them.
Cortland is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud to support and celebrate diversity in the workplace. We are committed to equal consideration for all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you have a disability and need an accommodation or assistance with the application process and/or using our website, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 404.965.3988.
Cortland is a drug-free workplace.
Cortland participates in e-verify to verify the employment status of all persons hired to work in the United States.