The Center for Open Science (COS) is looking for an experienced software engineer to advance our mission of increasing the openness, integrity, and reproducibility of scientific research. We are just as interested in your communication skills, passion, and ability as we are in the specific technologies that you use. A great developer will be a great developer in any language.
Founded in 2013, COS is a non-profit organization that has pushed for meaningful change in the scientific community. We've initiated large-scale reproducibility studies, challenged the incentive models of science publication, and built the premier online framework for ensuring that science is open and available. All of our software is free and open source, and we want to apply the same principles to science.
- Back-End: Python, Django, Tornado, and Flask
- Databases & Messaging: PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, RabbitMQ
- Authentication: CAS (Java)
- Front-End: EmberJS and TypeScript
- Google Cloud, Kubernetes, Jenkins, and Travis
- 2-3 years development experience in a business setting
- Great communication, including thoughtful listening skills, the ability to express complex ideas clearly and succinctly, and the ability to communicate well in writing
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience with relational databases
- Ability to work independently, and passionate about software engineering concepts
- COS offers full time employees:
- Competitive salaries
- 401(k) with employer match. COS offers a matching contribution of 100% up to 3% of pay and another 50% up to 5% of pay (the full match will be 4% if participants elect to defer 5%)
- Health, dental, and vision insurance. COS covers 100% of employee premium and 50% of all dependent coverage costs under the base plan
- 15 days vacation in year one
- Paid family medical leave. COS offers paid leave for up to three (3) months to all full-time, regular employees to care for their child after birth, after or during the adoption process, or to care for their spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition.
- Modern office space and other amenities
COS is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from members of groups underrepresented in science and technology industries.
Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining your background and interest in the position. Questions about the position and COS are welcome and can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also see more on GitHub.
If you know someone who lives and breathes open source and is passionate about collaboration, sharing, science, and making a difference, then encourage them to apply.