Background: The Center for Open Science (COS) is dedicated to improving research practices to accelerate discovery. COS is a nonprofit technology and advocacy organizations whose mission is to increase openness, integrity, and reproducibility of research. When the products of the research process become public goods -- analysis plans, data, methods, code, and results -- we can accelerate knowledge, solutions, and cures.
COS is seeking a Development Manager to join its fundraising team. Reporting to the Director of Development, the Development Manager plays an essential role in COS’s fundraising efforts and its ability to meet its mission. The Development Manager is responsible for grant research and proposal development, grant administration, annual giving activities, and prospect management.
Grants research and solicitations
- Manages and maintains grant proposal calendar and works with the Director of Development to engage appropriate team members to meet deadlines (both external and internal) associated with proposal submission
- Researches and vets foundation guidelines monitors announcements and calls for proposals
- Coordinates Request for Information (RFI) from government agencies
- Helps draft grant proposals to foundations and public funding agencies
- Manages and maintains the calendar for grant reports
- Works with appropriate team members to ensure COS meets established grants milestones in keeping with grant gift agreements
- Coordinates timely engagement of COS staff to assist in grant report draft
Annual giving activities (all gifts under Leadership giving level of $10,000)
- Manage and execute annual giving solicitations and outreach
- Draft annual giving campaigns, primarily executed via email
- Effectively incorporate and use social media platforms, COS newsletters, etc to drive giving behavior as well as cultivate and steward donors
- Manage stewardship and acknowledgement process
Donor and prospect management system administration - Salesforce (SF)
- Serves as a technical expert for Salesforce and how it interrelates to other aligned services
- Works with appropriate team members to develop/review/ maintain policies and procedures related to database usage and ensures COS staff are aware of the requirements for the effective use of SF
- Manages solicitation and gift entry and ensures the integrity of the financial data
- Develops regular reports on fundraising activity including: fundraising statistics, financial data; progress to date and goals; and ad hoc reports as required
- Excellent interpersonal and writing skills (Past grant writing or aligned experience preferred)
- Ability to set targets for fundraising activities, and create strategies for reaching them
- Ability to effectively represent COS, its mission and purpose in grant proposals, email solicitations, stewardship activities and on social media
- Excellent organizational abilities, strong time management skills, and the ability to adapt work priorities to meet deadlines
- Ability and desire to work in a dynamic team environment
- Excellent computer software skills (experience with Salesforce and Google office products a plus)
Preference will be given to candidates with 2 or more years of aligned fundraising experience or applicable skills. Salary is expected to be in the lower-50s.
Location: COS is located in Charlottesville, Virginia.
COS offers full time employees:
401(k) with employer match. COS offers a matching contribution of 100% up to 3% of pay and another 50% up to 5% of pay (the full match will be 4% if participants elect to defer 5%)
Health, dental, and vision insurance. COS covers 100% of employee premium and 50% of all dependent coverage costs under the base plan
15 days vacation in year one
Paid family medical leave. COS offers paid leave for up to three (3) months to all full-time, regular employees to care for their child after birth, after or during the adoption process, or to care for their spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition.Modern office space and other amenities
COS promotes a flexible work environment that supports a healthy work/life balance.
COS is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from members of groups underrepresented in science and technology industries.
Please submit a resume, a cover letter explaining your background and interest in the position and a fundraising aligned writing sample. Questions about the position and COS are welcome and can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.