Senior Human Resources Manager
Charlottesville, VA /
Background: TheCenter for Open Science(COS) is a non-profit with a mission to increase the openness, integrity and reproducibility of research. In support of open scholarship we provide infrastructure (i.e.,Open Science Framework) to facilitate open practices, advocate for policy changes to incentivize adoption of open practices, and conduct research (metascience) to evaluate the effectiveness of these interventions.
As a culture change research and technology organization the COS team is multi-disciplinary and mission driven. We are looking for a motivated, seasoned Senior Human Resources Manager to bring existing experience and expertise to support the maturation of our organization to be effective at advancing its mission and an outstanding place to work.
The Senior Human Resources Manager will play a leadership role in improving the organization's performance evaluation process and provide managers and staff with training and professional development. They will be responsible for engaging the entire team to continue to cultivate a positive, supportive, and productive organizational culture. They will lead efforts for improving diversity, equity, and inclusion as a persistent organizational, mission-aligned priority. The Senior Human Resources Manager will be supported by the leadership team to advance these objectives.
Day-to-day responsibilities include: performance management, compensation, compliance, training, employee retention, recruiting, payroll, benefits and records retention. The Senior Human Resources Manager coordinates implementation of services, policies, and programs; reports to the Director of Finance. This position is both a strategic and hands-on role.
COS maintains a full-time staff of approximately 50, most of whom are based in Charlottesville, Virginia. Like many organizations, COS is becoming more geographically distributed and maintains a strong virtual component of organizational activity, even outside of pandemic times. It is also possible that COS will add offices outside of the United States. The Senior HR manager will play a key role in adapting the organization’s people management processes to be effective with its evolving structure and distributed operations.
- Develop and implement a strategy for fostering a positive and productive organizational culture that engages all staff as stakeholders in that culture
- Align organizational practices with organizational values, particularly transparency, integrity, and inclusivity
- Promote evidence-based practices for improving human resource management and diversity, equity, and inclusion, including developing plans and tracking performance
- Review existing performance management practices and implement improvements both in content and process
- Develop and implement a manager training plan, work with managers and staff to develop career opportunities and support retention
- Manage talent acquisition process, including recruitment, interviewing, hiring and onboarding of qualified job applicants, and collaborate with managers to understand skills and competencies required for open positions
- Manage personnel and associated confidential information
- Maintain compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; review policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Create learning and development programs that provide internal development opportunities for staff
- Provides support and guidance to management, and other staff when specialized, and sensitive questions and issues arise, and administers and executes tasks in delicate circumstances such as refereeing disputes, investigating allegations of wrongdoing, and administering disciplinary procedures.
- Coordinate benefits programs; processes and maintains 401(k) contributions and administration along with processing and maintaining payroll
- Analyze and respond to trends in compensation and benefits
- Maintain personnel files in compliance with applicable legal requirements and record retention schedules
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
- Manage the off-boarding process including resignation documentation, exit interview, and all checklist items
- Coordinate employee annual review process and proactively work with managers to conduct effective check-ins and performance evaluations to ensure staff are properly resourced, engaged, and communicating with the team
- Serve as a resource for employees regarding HR processes, benefits questions, workplace concerns
- Maintain the Employee Manual and Policies and Procedures Manual with updated resolutions and other pertinent information
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Highly efficient, task-oriented and able to prioritize tasks
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
- Proficient with cloud-based file management and sharing (Google docs)
- Proficiency with or the ability to quickly learn the organization’s HRIS (Zenefits) and talent management (Lever) systems.
- Bachelors’ degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or related field preferred.
- At least 5-10 years of human resources management experience preferred
- Salary range $80,000 - $85,000 commensurate with experience.
The position is located at the Center for Open Science in Charlottesville, Virginia.
401(k) with employer match
COS offers a matching contribution of 100% up to 3% of pay and another 50% up to 5% of pay (the full match will be 4% if participants elect to defer 5%)
Health, dental, and vision insurance. COS covers 100% of employee premium and 50% of all dependent coverage costs under the base plan
15 days vacation in year one
Paid family medical leave. COS offers paid leave for up to three (3) months to all full-time, regular employees to care for their child after birth, after or during the adoption process, or to care for their spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition.
Modern office space and other amenities, including paid covered parking under the office space
COS is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from members of groups underrepresented in science and technology industries.
Please submit a resume/CV and cover letter explaining your background and interest in the position. Questions about the position and COS are welcome, and can be directed to email@example.com.