OSF and Registries Product Owner
Background about the Center for Open Science
The Center for Open Science (COS) is dedicated to improving research practices to accelerate discovery. COS is a nonprofit technology and advocacy organization whose mission is to increase openness, integrity, and reproducibility of research. When the products of the research process become public goods -- analysis plans, data, methods, code, and results -- we can accelerate knowledge, solutions, and cures.
Product Owner Position
COS is seeking a Product Owner to join its Product team. Reporting to the Director of Product, the Product Owner plays an essential role in COS’s product development and ability to meet its mission. The Product Owner is responsible for supporting COS’s product vision through effective and efficient management of product development activities and building and maintaining strong relationships with our community of users and stakeholders.
Each of COS’s Product Owners are generalists on OSF.io and specialists in a specific product, this position will be the specialist on OSF and OSF Registries. With support from the broader Product team, the OSF and Registries Product Owner will understand the use cases and workflows of the product, manage product feedback of features, improvements and bugs in the product backlog, work with new communities to build strong relationships and prepare to launch new registries.
- Understands and stays updated on the scholarly research data ecosystem, incorporating the rapidly evolving landscape into the product vision and business model conversations
- Establishes strong understanding of the product and its use cases, and collaborates bidirectionally with end users and stakeholders to understand and share future ideas for the product
- Works with the product team to assess feedback from users and stakeholders, applying the business goals to prioritize and effectively communicate with leadership
- Gathers feedback and requirements, writes user stories and shepherds projects through the development process with effective collaboration between product management and agile development teams
- Represents the product vision based on organizational goals, institutional stakeholder needs and user feedback both internally with product development, policy, and research teams and externally with libraries, stakeholders, and researchers
- Builds strong relationships with the users and communities using OSF and registration infrastructure
- Executes the launch of fee for service with branded registry interfaces to meet stakeholder and customer needs, leading demonstrations and negotiations with branded registry customers to help meet organizational business goals
- Participates in product area project support with representation in the agile processes through attendance in scrums, discovery, kickoff, grooming, sprint planning, and product demo meetings to ensure clarity of requirements
- Collaborates with the Communication Coordinator to promote new features and improvements to user base and to plan outreach to communities and potential new users to grow adoption
- Creates or updates user-facing product documentation for product area, ensuring cohesion with established style, tone, and information architecture
- Stays connected with user support inquiries and responses leading to resolution of user challenges. Leverages support inquiries to improve documentation, user experience, and feature development
- Takes a user-centric approach to their product area by incorporating user research to gather and understand challenges facing researchers across domains on adoption of open and reproducible research practices using COS products
- Collaborates with the product team and Data Scientist to develop KPIs and monitor adoption of products and features
- Advances UX redesigns of product pages by bringing strong knowledge of user challenges and user behavior data to drive product interface and workflow improvements
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical, organization and documentation skills with excellent attention to detail
- Creativity and ability to convey ideas in a clear and concise way
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining strong attention to detail
- Self-starter and independent worker who continually seeks new challenges and responsibilities
- Sound judgment, professionalism, and a positive attitude
- Resourcefulness, creativity, and strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to react quickly to complex situations
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 1-3 years experience in software product management
- Experience with scrum agile development methodologies
- Background in scientific research
COS offers full time employees:
401(k) with employer match. COS offers a matching contribution of 100% up to 3% of pay and another 50% up to 5% of pay (the full match will be 4% if participants elect to defer 5%)
Health, dental, and vision insurance. COS covers 100% of employee premium and 50% of all dependent coverage costs under the base plan
15 days vacation in year one
Paid family medical leave. COS offers paid leave for up to three (3) months to all full-time, regular employees to care for their child after birth, after or during the adoption process, or to care for their spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition
Modern office space and other amenities
COS promotes a flexible work environment that supports a healthy work/life balance. This position is desired to be on site in the Charlottesville, VA office, however remote accommodations will be considered.
Salary is expected to be between mid 50 to mid 60s, depending on relevant experience and skills.
COS is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from members of groups underrepresented in science and technology industries. Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining your background and interest in the position. Questions about the position and COS are welcome and can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.