Customer Relations Specialist
Background about the Center for Open Science
The Center for Open Science (COS) is dedicated to improving research practices to accelerate discovery. COS is a nonprofit technology and advocacy organization whose mission is to increase openness, integrity, and reproducibility of research. When the products of the research process become public goods -- analysis plans, data, methods, code, and results -- we can accelerate knowledge, solutions, and cures.
Customer Relations Specialist Position
COS is seeking a Customer Relations Specialist to join its Product team. Reporting to the Director of Product, the specialist plays an essential role in COS’s ability to provide excellent user and client experiences as part of our customer-centric product development. The Customer Relations Specialist is responsible for supporting COS’s mission through the effective delivery of products and services to our stakeholders, clients and users. The specialist will support the product vision through effective and efficient management of client and user relations and ensure user success in open science behaviors with our products and services.
The Customer Relations Specialist will provide front-line support to the growing user community and clients of COS products and services. This individual:
- Manages our user support help desk including monitoring, triaging, and responding to all support cases with excellent customer service
- Leads trouble shooting with end users, customers, and internal team, and directs them to user-facing resources or promptly develops support materials to address common challenges
- Cultivates strong and trusted customer relationships with timely and accurate communications
- Owns development and maintenance of product help documentation with support from product owners
- Owns community interest queries and inbound leads in Salesforce by triaging and ensuring responses to all queries, making handoffs to product owners when relevant
- Guides set up and onboarding for new customers onto products
- Conducts product overviews and general webinars on products, and is knowledgeable on general product capabilities to answer customer queries
- Coordinates with infrastructure and quality assurance teams to ensure prompt resolution to issues and communication of feature requests
- Provides reporting on customer relations activities regularly, triages feature requests and provides insights for product team strategy development
- Recommends process improvements to increase efficiency and scalability of user support services
- Experience in a customer-facing role working via email and web meetings
- Experience using CRM, help desk, web communication, and documentation software, such as Salesforce, Zendesk,, Zoom, and ScreenSteps or similar tools
- Very strong work ethic and a passion for customer engagement
- Strong analytical, organization, and documentation skills with excellent attention to detail
- Extremely high social and communication skills
- Experienced multi-tasker with ability to handle and prioritize various tasks
- Self-starting, industrious, creative, and independent worker who continually seeks new challenges and responsibilities
- Sound judgment, professionalism, and a positive attitude
- Adaptive to rapidly changing demands in a high performance workplace
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 1-3 years experience in customer support role
- Experience with technical writing
- Experience within research or scientific environment helpful
COS is located in Charlottesville, Virginia. Remote work is not available for this position.
COS offers full time employees:
401(k) with employer match. COS offers a matching contribution of 100% up to 3% of pay and another 50% up to 5% of pay (the full match will be 4% if participants elect to defer 5%)
Health, dental, and vision insurance. COS covers 100% of employee premium and 50% of all dependent coverage costs under the base plan
15 days vacation in year one
Paid family medical leave. COS offers paid leave for up to three (3) months to all full-time, regular employees to care for their child after birth, after or during the adoption process, or to care for their spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition
Modern office space and other amenities
COS promotes a flexible work environment that supports a healthy work/life balance.
Salary is expected to be in the 40s depending on relevant experience and skills.