Preprints Product Owner
The Center for Open Science (COS) is dedicated to improving research practices to accelerate discovery. COS is a nonprofit technology and advocacy organization whose mission is to increase openness, integrity, and reproducibility of research. When the products of the research process become public goods -- analysis plans, data, methods, code, and results -- we can accelerate knowledge, solutions, and cures.
Preprints Product Owner PositionCOS is seeking a Product Owner to join its Product team. Reporting to the Director of Product, the Product Owner plays an essential role in COS’s product development and ability to meet its mission. The Product Owner is responsible for supporting COS’s product vision through effective and efficient management of product development activities and building and maintaining strong relationships with our community of preprint services.
Each of COS’s Product Owners are generalists on OSF.io and specialists in a specific product, in this case OSF Preprints. With support from the broader Product team, the Preprint Product Owner fields support and product inquiries, manages communications with the community server leads, users and stakeholders, manages and prioritizes the product feedback of features, improvements and bugs in the product backlog, works with new communities to prepare and launch new preprint servers, and collaborates with community server leads to maintain strong governance of the service.
- Understands and stays updated on the scholarly communications ecosystem, incorporating the rapidly evolving landscape into the product vision and business model conversations
- Represents the product vision based on organizational goals, institutional stakeholder needs and user feedback both internally with product development, policy and research teams and externally with libraries, stakeholders and researchers
- Builds strong relationships with the communities operating preprint servers on the OSF Preprints infrastructure supporting their establishment of editorial guidelines, governance models, promotion and adoption activities, and sustainability of support costs
- Establishes strong understanding of the product, the use cases the product is expected to meet and collaborates bidirectionally with end users and stakeholders to understand and share future ideas for the product
- Works with product management and the current process in place to assess feedback from users and stakeholders, applying the business goals to prioritize and effectively communicate with leadership
- Gathers feedback and requirements, writes user stories and shepherds projects through development process with effective collaboration between product management and agile development teams
- Establish best practices in governance of the community servers, is the COS liaison with the community servers, managing the conduit of communication and accountability
- Creates of or updates user-facing product documentation for product area, ensuring cohesion with established style, tone and information architecture
- Manages user support inquiries with good communication of responses leading to resolution of user challenges. Leveraging support inquiries to better manage the product documentation, user experience and future enhancement development
- Participates in product area project support with representation in the agile processes through attendance in scrums, discovery, kickoff, grooming, sprint planning, product demo meetings to ensure clarity of requirements
- Collaborates with the Communication Coordinator on communicating new features and improvements to user base
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical, organization and documentation skills with excellent attention to detail
- Creativity and ability to convey ideas in a clear and concise way
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining strong attention to detail
- Self-starter and independent worker who continually seeks new challenges and responsibilities
- Sound judgment, professionalism, and a positive attitude
- Resourcefulness, creativity, and strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to react quickly to complex situations
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 1-3 years experience in community management or similar role
- Experience with scrum agile development methodologies
- 1-3 years experience in scholarly communications
COS offers full time employees:
401(k) with employer match. COS offers a matching contribution of 100% up to 3% of pay and another 50% up to 5% of pay (the full match will be 4% if participants elect to defer 5%)
Health, dental, and vision insurance. COS covers 100% of employee premium and 50% of all dependent coverage costs under the base plan
15 days vacation in year one
Paid family medical leave. COS offers paid leave for up to three (3) months to all full-time, regular employees to care for their child after birth, after or during the adoption process, or to care for their spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition
Modern office space and other amenities
COS promotes a flexible work environment that supports a healthy work/life balance.
Salary is expected to be between 50 to 60k, depending on relevant experience and skills.
COS is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from members of groups underrepresented in science and technology industries. Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining your background and interest in the position. Questions about the position and COS are welcome and can be directed to email@example.com.