Science Policy Analyst Part-Time
TheCenter for Open Science(COS) develops tools to support the scientific workflow (i.e., OSF), fosters community standards for open practices, and conducts metascience research - science on scientific practices. The Transparency and Openness Promotion Guidelines (TOP, https://cos.io/top), are a set of policy standards created to support adoption of better scientific practices in publishing and funding research. The standards cover eight practices for more transparent and rigorous research, each of which can be implemented in one of three levels of stringency. The TOP Guidelines provide a framework to compare and evaluate scientific journals.
COS is seeking a detail-oriented Associate Policy Analyst to support its efforts to evaluate current practices and policies in the scientific literature as part of our efforts to implement change in the scientific community. The Associate Policy Analyst’s focus will be to evaluate author instructions and publisher policies to determine how they relate to the TOP Guidelines. This work will generate a database to be used for encouraging the adoption of better scientific policies.
The Associate Policy Analyst will support the Policy Team in evaluating existing funder or publisher policies. This work requires an attention to detail, the ability to critically evaluate written instructions to authors of scientific articles, careful documentation of policy evaluations, and knowledge or familiarity of research practices such as publication.
The Associate Policy Analyst will report to the Director of Policy. The team will operate in a flexible management process that seeks to optimize agile decision making, independence of project execution, and accountability to organizational leadership and the external community.
- Evaluation of a wide range of publisher and funder policies
- Document evaluation process
- Gather and organize materials and data from a variety of sources
- Implement strong documentation practices for all project activities to ensure transparency and reproducibility
Skills and Experiences
- Familiarity, experience, or knowledge of scientific publication
- Familiarity of scientific disciplines commensurate with some bachelor’s level coursework in STEM or the social sciences
- Familiarity with research methodology
- Ability to rapidly assess research across a variety of scientific domains
- Highly efficient and task-oriented
- Attention to detail and very strong documentation and workflow management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, interpersonal skills, and ability to work independently and in coordination with a team for advancing shared objectives on a very assertive timeline
- Ability to prioritize, make decisions, problem-solve, and ask for help
As a part time role, this position is not eligible for health benefits.
COS promotes a flexible work environment that supports a healthy work/life balance.
Applying: COS is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from members of groups underrepresented in science and technology industries.
Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining your background and interest in the position. Questions about the position and COS are welcome and can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.