Part-Time Research Scientist (6 month position)
The Center for Open Science (COS) is a performer for the DARPA SCORE program (link) to automate and validate methods for assessing credibility of research claims in the social-behavioral sciences. COS will (1) create a large, enriched dataset of claims and evidence, (2) advance the efficiency and scalability of gathering that data, and (3) conduct replications and reproductions of a sample of the claims to test the accuracy of confidence scores generated by the other performers. The project will provide substantial insight into reproducibility and credibility of social-behavioral research and has the potential to produce innovative solutions to improve research credibility.
The part-time Research Scientist will be responsible, along with the other Research Scientists at COS, for selecting and vetting eligible social-behavioral science study claims from the sampling frame for inclusion in the SCORE program. Collectively the Research Scientists will manage the process and deliver ~1800 claims over the next 6 months. This work requires continuous communication among team members, substantial expertise in research methodology and reproducible practices, and comfort with rapidly evaluating research on a variety of topics across social-behavioral sciences. With extremely high coordination demands and an aggressive timeline, this role requires strong capacity to manage and execute on defined goals on time and with exceptional quality.
This position will report to the SCORE Program Manager. This is a short term position (up to 6 months) for up to 20 hours per week. The schedule is flexible but attendance at some virtual meetings will be required.
- Evaluate a diverse body of claims in social-behavioral sciences on methodology and findings
- Managing timelines, deliverables, and project execution for study caseload and direct responsibilities
- Supporting research objectives that ensure overall project success
- Implement and manage change when necessary to meet project goals
- Strong documentation practices for all project activities including code and process to ensure transparency and reproducibility
- Expertise (PhD or equivalent) in one or more social-behavioral science disciplines
- Very strong research methodology competencies, ideally skills that are transferable across a variety of research applications
- Ability to understand basic research topics and methodologies across a variety of social-behavioral science domains
- Demonstrated commitment to transparency, rigor, and reproducibility in research
- Highly efficient and task-oriented
- Attention to detail and very strong documentation and workflow management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, interpersonal skills, and ability to work independently and in coordination with a team for advancing shared objectives on a very assertive timeline
- Ability to prioritize, make decisions, problem-solve, and ask for help
This position is located at the Center for Open Science in Charlottesville, VA. The role will work up to 20 hours per week. The schedule can be flexible, but attendance at some virtual meetings will be required. This position will last for up to 6 months. As a part time role, this position is not eligible for health benefits.
On-site and remote working circumstances will be considered. For remote positions, COS does not reimburse for office or technology costs, but will provide a computer for work purposes.
Preferred start date in September 2019 through the end of February 2020.
Please submit a resume/CV and cover letter explaining your background and interest in the position. In the cover letter, please describe the domains of social-behavioral science research with which you have some expertise and your interests in reproducibility and open science. Two or more letters of recommendation can be submitted to email@example.com by the recommendation author in support of the application. Letters should provide insight on the candidate’s possession of competencies listed above and capacity to meet the described responsibilities. Please instruct letter writers to include the candidate’s name in the subject line of the email. Questions about the position and COS are welcome. COS is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from members of groups underrepresented in science and technology industries.