The Center for Open Science (COS) is undertaking a project (to be announced) to automate and validate methods for assessing credibility of research claims in the social-behavioral sciences. COS will (1) create a large, enriched dataset of claims and evidence, (2) advance the efficiency and scalability of gathering that data, and (3) conduct replic/ations and reproductions of a sample of the claims to test the accuracy of confidence scores generated by partners. The project is expected to run from January 2019 to December 2021.
The Program Manager is responsible for planning and for overseeing the day-to-day work on the project, directly manage the three project managers and two project coordinators, and reports to the Metascience Team Lead. The Program Manager oversees the work of partner groups.
Teams will operate in COS’s agile scrum management process with highly defined tasks and deliverables to track progress. Two week sprints with daily scrums will identify risks and bottlenecks early in project execution for intervention and correction. COS maintains proven infrastructure and methodologies to deliver on highly coordinated projects--technical and operational. A major task of the project is to facilitate and manage research activities of dozens to hundreds of contributing researchers and laboratories around the world. With extremely high coordination demands and an aggressive timeline, this role requires strong capacity to manage and execute on defined goals on time and with exceptional quality.
- Managing timelines, budget, deliverables, and project execution
- Managing risks and issues and taking corrective measures
- Coordinating the project tasks and their interdependencies
- Managing and using resources across project tasks
- Responsibility for ensuring that team meets all deliverables on-time with high quality
- Daily program management throughout the program life cycle (e.g. leads scrum and sprint planning)
- Managing communication, negotiation, and planning among project stakeholders -- funders, other performers, contracting teams, and contracted services
- Managing the main program documentations
- Executing the substantive goals of the project led by the Metascience Lead and Executive Director and recommending operational solutions
- Outstanding management skills
- Highly efficient and task-oriented
- Excellent attention to detail and follow-through
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, interpersonal skills, and ability to work independently and in coordination with a team for advancing shared objectives on a very assertive timeline
- Ability to prioritize, make decisions, problem-solve, and ask for help
- Good knowledge and handling of project and program management methodology and technique, including determining which processes and tools best fit a team
- Expertise with agile practices
- Strong practical experience in project management
- Proficiency with collaboration tools
- Experience with highly collaborative projects including hundreds of contributors a plus
- Strong background in scientific research; Expertise in social-behavioral science research desired-- Demonstrated commitment to transparency, rigor, and reproducibility in research
- Comfort and experience with technology-intensive organizations a plus
This position is located at the Center for Open Science in Charlottesville, VA. Start date of early 2019 is unlikely to be flexible. This is a full-time exempt position. Salary is expected to be in the mid-80s. COS is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from members of groups underrepresented in science and technology industries.
COS offers full time employees:
401(k) with employer match. COS offers a matching contribution of 100% up to 3% of pay and another 50% up to 5% of pay (the full match will be 4% if participants elect to defer 5%).
Health, dental, and vision insurance. COS covers 100% of employee premium and 50% of all dependent coverage costs under the base plan
15 days of paid time off in year one
Paid family medical leave. COS offers paid leave for up to three (3) months to all full-time, regular employees to care for their child after birth, after or during the adoption process, or to care for their spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition.
Modern office space and other amenities.
Please submit a resume/CV and cover letter explaining your background and interest in the position. Questions about the position and COS are welcome and can be directed to email@example.com.