The Center for Open Science (COS) is dedicated to improving research practices to accelerate discovery. COS is a nonprofit technology and advocacy organization whose mission is to increase openness, integrity, and reproducibility of research. When the products of the research process become public goods -- analysis plans, data, methods, code, and results -- we can accelerate knowledge, solutions, and cures.
COS is seeking a Product Owner to join its Product team. Reporting to the Director of Product and Product Manager, the Product Owner plays an essential role in COS’s product development and ability to meet its mission. The Product Owner is responsible for supporting COS’s product vision through effective and efficient management of product development activities.
- Represents the product vision based on organizational goals, stakeholder needs and user feedback both internally with product development, policy and research teams and externally with funders, stakeholders, and community groups
- Establishes strong understanding of the product, the use cases the product is expected to meet and collaborates bidirectionally with end users and stakeholders to understand and share future ideas for the product
- Works with product management and the current process in place to assess feedback from users and stakeholders, applying the business goals to prioritize and effectively communicate with leadership
- Gathers feedback and requirements, writes user stories and shepherds projects through development process with effective collaboration of product management and agile development teams
- Supports the implementation of the product vision, priorities and deliverable timelines through participation in team scrums, ticket creation and management, grooming of tickets and stories, prioritizing and planning meetings, product demo and validation and launching of new features and enhancements
- Creation of or updates to all user-facing product documentation for product area, ensuring cohesion with established style, tone and information architecture
- Manages user support inquiries for the relevant product area with good communication of responses leading to resolution of user challenges. Leveraging support inquiries to better manage the product documentation, user experience and future enhancement development
- Participates in product area project support with attendance in scrums, discovery, kickoff, grooming, sprint planning, product demo meetings to ensure clarity of requirements
- Collaborates with the Communication Coordinator on new features and improvements to user base
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical, organization and documentation skills with excellent attention to detail
- Creativity and ability to convey ideas in a clear and concise way
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining strong attention to detail
- Self-starter and independent worker who continually seeks new challenges and responsibilities
- Sound judgment, professionalism, and a positive attitude
- Resourcefulness, creativity, and strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to react quickly to complex situations
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 1-3 years experience in similar role
- Experience with scrum agile development methodologies
Benefits: COS offers full time employees
- Competitive salaries
- 401(k) with employer match. COS offers a matching contribution of 100% up to 3% of pay and another 50% up to 5% of pay (the full match will be 4% if participants elect to defer 5%)
- Health, dental, and vision insurance. COS covers 100% of employee premium and 50% of all dependent coverage costs under the base plan
- 15 days vacation in year one
- Paid family medical leave. COS offers paid leave for up to three (3) months to all full-time, regular employees to care for their child after birth, after or during the adoption process, or to care for their spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition
- Modern office space and other amenities
COS promotes a flexible work environment that supports a healthy work/life balance.
Salary is expected to be between upper 40s to mid 50s depending on relevant experience and skills.
COS is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from members of groups underrepresented in science and technology industries. Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining your background and interest in the position. Questions about the position and COS are welcome and can be directed to email@example.com.