Director of Development
The Center for Open Science (COS) is dedicated to improving research practices to accelerate discovery. COS is a nonprofit technology and advocacy organization whose mission is to increase openness, integrity, and reproducibility of research. When the products of the research process become public goods -- analysis plans, data, methods, code, and results -- we can accelerate knowledge, solutions, and cures.
COS is seeking a Director of Development (DOD) to join its leadership team. Reporting to the Executive Director, the DOD plays an essential role in developing and executive an effective fundraising strategy that supports the long-range goals of the organization.
The Director of Development is responsible for identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding philanthropic contributions in support of the mission and activities of the Center for Open Science. S/he also manages COS’s expanding government funding efforts.
COS raises $5-$7 million annually from foundations, individuals, and government agencies. This role works closely with the Executive Director, Chief Operating Officer, and Directors of Policy, Product, and Research. This role also directly supervises a full time Development Manager.
- Draft and execute a comprehensive fundraising plan to meet the annual and long-term financial needs of the Center in accordance with the COS strategic plan '
- Oversee, manage, and conduct grant research and development. Manage all grant proposal processes including grants calendar, grant development, grant writing, and reporting
- Create and implement strategies to engage and solicit individual donors in partnership with COS leadership and board members
- Partner with COS Policy, Product, and Research teams to identify and support partnerships that financially support their work
- Oversee the annual fund campaign, developing strategies of donor stewardship and retention
- Work closely with the Board of Directors to engage them in COS’s fundraising efforts. With the executive director, act as staff lead for the Governance & Nominating Committee. Support board development and recruitment
- In collaboration with COS leadership set and manage to goals and metrics that drive current and sustainable fundraising performance, evaluating progress at appropriate intervals
- Manage fundraising data in Salesforce, including maintenance of files, updated, reports, and data integrity
- Support budgeting and integration of grants and funding pipeline with Leadership team
- Be an outstanding representative of the organization with strong knowledge of COS’s mission, services, and strategy in communications with funders, constituency, board, and staff
- Demonstrate strong communication and writing skills
- Knowledgeable and experienced in fundraising techniques, particularly major gift, foundation and annual gift fundraising
- Able to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers
- Organized to accomplish tasks and goals
- Displays a positive attitude, shows concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, confidence, common sense and good listening ability
- Experience with federal funding agencies like the National Science Foundation, the Department of Defense, and the National Institutes of Health, is advantageous
COS offers full time employees:
Competitive salaries401(k) with employer match. COS offers a matching contribution of 100% up to 3% of pay and another 50% up to 5% of pay (the full match will be 4% if participants elect to defer 5%)
Health, dental, and vision insurance. COS covers 100% of employee premium and 50% of all dependent coverage costs under the base plan15 days vacation in year onePaid family medical leave
COS offers paid leave for up to three (3) months to all full-time, regular employees to care for their child after birth, after or during the adoption process, or to care for their spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition
Modern office space and other amenities
COS promotes a flexible work environment that supports a healthy work/life balance
COS is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from members of groups underrepresented in science and technology industries.
Please submit a resume, a cover letter explaining your background and interest in the position and a fundraising aligned writing sample. Questions about the position and COS are welcome and can be directed to email@example.com.