The Center for Open Science (COS) is undertaking a project (to be announced) to automate and validate methods for assessing credibility of research claims in the social-behavioral sciences. COS will (1) create a large, enriched dataset of claims and evidence, (2) advance the efficiency and scalability of gathering that data, and (3) conduct replications and reproductions of a sample of the claims to test the accuracy of confidence scores generated by partners. The project is expected to run from January 2019 to December 2021.
Two Project Coordinators will support the Project Managers in selecting eligible social-behavioral science studies from the sampling frame, vetting and coding claims for eligibility for reproduction or replication, coding datasets, gathering materials for studies, developing study preregistrations, determining study awards for replication teams, managing a portfolio of partner individuals and teams conducting replication (new data) or reproduction (same data) studies, and rigorously documenting the process to maximize reproducibility. This work requires effective communication, attention to detail, effective documentation skills, and comfort with research methods, social-behavioral science literature, and managing many research practices on a variety of topics simultaneously.
The Project Coordinators will report to the Program Manager. The team will operate in COS’s agile scrum management process with highly defined tasks and deliverables to track progress. Two week sprints with daily scrums will identify risks and bottlenecks early in project execution for intervention and correction. COS maintains proven infrastructure and methodologies to deliver on highly coordinated projects--technical and operational. A major task of the project is to facilitate and manage research activities of dozens to hundreds of contributing researchers and laboratories around the world. With extremely high coordination demands and an aggressive timeline, this role requires strong capacity to execute on defined goals on time and with exceptional quality.
- Support evaluation of a diverse body of claims in social-behavioral sciences on methodology and findings
- Documenting protocols and registrations for conducting rigorous reproductions and replications
- Facilitate a caseload of replication/reproduction efforts by a distributed network of teams and individuals
- Supporting research objectives that ensure overall project success
- Gathering and organizing materials and data from a variety of sources
- Implementing strong documentation practices for all project activities to ensure transparency and reproducibility
- Experience (Bachelor’s, Master’s or equivalent) in one or more social-behavioral science disciplines
- Experience with research methodology
- Ability to rapidly assess research across a variety of social-behavioral science domains
- Demonstrated commitment to transparency, rigor, and reproducibility in research
- Highly efficient and task-oriented
- Attention to detail and very strong documentation and workflow management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, interpersonal skills, and ability to work independently and in coordination with a team for advancing shared objectives on a very assertive timeline
- Ability to prioritize, make decisions, problem-solve, and ask for help
- Experience with R, OSF, preregistration, reproducible workflows, replications (new data testing same question) and/or reproductions (reanalysis of same data) is a plus
This position is located at the Center for Open Science in Charlottesville, VA. Start date of early 2019 is unlikely to be flexible. This is a full-time exempt position. Salary is expected to be in the mid-40s.
COS offers full time employees:
401(k) with employer match. COS offers a matching contribution of 100% up to 3% of pay and another 50% up to 5% of pay (the full match will be 4% if participants elect to defer 5%).
Health, dental, and vision insurance. COS covers 100% of employee premium and 50% of all dependent coverage costs under the base plan
15 days of paid time off in year one
Paid family medical leave. COS offers paid leave for up to three (3) months to all full-time, regular employees to care for their child after birth, after or during the adoption process, or to care for their spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition.
Modern office space and other amenities.
Please submit a resume/CV and cover letter explaining your background and interest in the position. Questions about the position and COS are welcome and can be directed to email@example.com. COS is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from members of groups underrepresented in science and technology industries.