Project Coordinator (Data Enhancement)
COS is now hiring a Project Coordinator to support an ongoing, major project under the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) Systematizing Confidence in Open Research and Evidence (SCORE) program to automate and validate methods for assessing credibility of research claims in the social-behavioral sciences (see our press release here). COS will (1) create a large, enriched dataset of claims and evidence, (2) advance the efficiency and scalability of gathering that data, and (3) conduct replications and reproductions of a sample of the claims to test the accuracy of confidence scores generated by partners. The project is expected to run to December 2021.
The Project Coordinator will support the team in creating, maintaining, and enhancing the large dataset of claims and evidence. This position will work closely with Data Enhancement partners to develop the dataset, manage claim extraction, merge data, and monitor automated and manual data coding and integration. The Project Coordinator will also liaise with external dataset managers to align their fields and process to move towards automated processing and support monthly reporting and accessing to the dataset by other performing teams. This work requires effective communication, attention to detail, effective documentation skills, experience with git workflows, and good data organization practices.
The Project Coordinator will report to the Data Manager. The team will operate in COS’s agile scrum management process with highly defined tasks and deliverables to track progress. Two week sprints with daily scrums will identify risks and bottlenecks early in project execution for intervention and correction. COS maintains proven infrastructure and methodologies to deliver on highly coordinated projects--technical and operational. A major task of the project is to facilitate and manage research activities of dozens to hundreds of contributing researchers and laboratories around the world. With extremely high coordination demands and an aggressive timeline, this role requires strong capacity to execute on defined goals on time and with exceptional quality.
- Support creating and curating a database of scholarly claims
- Assist in maintaining and documenting that database for quality and wide use
- Enhancing the dataset with related data from a wide variety of scholarly databases using and developing automated techniques to keep the dataset up-to-date
- Enhancing the dataset with data extracted from papers and/or provided by other collaborators or performing teams
- Creating automated workflows for data extraction from sources
- Collaborating with maintainers of other scholarly databases to align data for automated extraction and merging
- Supporting overall data integrity for project success
- Implementing strong documentation practices for all project activities to ensure transparency and reproducibility
- Experience with data managing, data wrangling, data merging, and data documentation
- Experience with scholarly databases and API calls
- Experience with programming skills for data extraction, merging, and creating automated, repeatable workflows (base understanding of Python, mostly pandas and numpy a plus)
- Demonstrated commitment to transparency, rigor, and reproducibility in research
- Highly efficient and task-oriented
- Attention to detail and very strong documentation and workflow management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, interpersonal skills, and ability to work independently and in coordination with a team for advancing shared objectives on a very assertive timeline
- Ability to prioritize, make decisions, problem-solve, and ask for help
This position is located at the Center for Open Science in Charlottesville, VA.
Expected start date in June 2019.
This is a full-time exempt position. Salary is expected to be in the mid-40s.
COS offers full time employees:
401(k) with employer match. COS offers a matching contribution of 100% up to 3% of pay and another 50% up to 5% of pay (the full match will be 4% if participants elect to defer 5%)
Health, dental, and vision insurance. COS covers 100% of employee premium and 50% of all dependent coverage costs under the base plan
15 days vacation in year one
Paid family medical leave. COS offers paid leave for up to three (3) months to all full-time, regular employees to care for their child after birth, after or during the adoption process, or to care for their spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition.
Modern office space and other amenities
COS promotes a flexible work environment that supports a healthy work/life balance.
Please submit a resume/CV and cover letter explaining your background and interest in the position. Questions about the position and COS are welcome and can be directed to email@example.com. COS is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from members of groups underrepresented in science and technology industries.