Senior Software Engineer
The Center for Open Science (COS) is looking for an experienced senior software engineer to advance our mission of increasing the openness, integrity, and reproducibility of scientific research. The perfect candidate for this role has worked in the commercial software space for a while but would now like to use their engineering skill to positively impact the world. We are more interested in your communication skills, passion, and ability than we are in the specific technologies that you use. A great developer will be a great developer in any language.
Founded in 2013, COS is a non-profit organization that has pushed for meaningful change in the scientific community. We've initiated large-scale reproducibility studies, challenged the incentive models of science publication, and built the premier online framework for ensuring that science is open and available. All of our software is free and open source, and we want to apply the same principles to science.
Core Technologies we use
- Back-End: Python, Django, Tornado, and Flask
- Databases & Messaging: PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, RabbitMQ
- Authentication: CAS (Java)
- Front-End: EmberJS and TypeScript
- Google Cloud, Kubernetes, Jenkins, and Travis
- Ability to make and drive technical decisions to completion
- Great communication, including thoughtful listening skills, the ability to express complex ideas clearly and succinctly, and the ability to communicate well in writing
- Expert in software design principles
- Strong attention to detail
- Recognizes and avoids software anti-patterns
- Experience mentoring other engineers
- Experience with relational databases
- Ability to work independently, and passionate about software engineering concepts
Location: COS is located in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Benefits: COS offers full time employees:
401(k) with employer match. COS offers a matching contribution of 100% up to 3% of pay and another 50% up to 5% of pay (the full match will be 4% if participants elect to defer 5%)
Health, dental, and vision insurance. COS covers 100% of employee premium and 50% of all dependent coverage costs under the base plan15 days vacation in year onePaid family medical leave.
COS offers paid leave for up to three (3) months to all full-time, regular employees to care for their child after birth, after or during the adoption process, or to care for their spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition.Modern office space and other amenities
COS promotes a flexible work environment that supports a healthy work/life balance.
Applying: COS is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from members of groups underrepresented in science and technology industries.
Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining your background and interest in the position. Questions about the position and COS are welcome and can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also see more on GitHub.