Communications and Outreach Coordinator
The Center for Open Science (COS) is dedicated to improving research practices to accelerate discovery. COS is a nonprofit technology and advocacy organization whose mission is to increase openness, integrity, and reproducibility of research. When the products of the research process become public goods -- analysis plans, data, methods, code, and results -- we can accelerate knowledge, solutions, and cures.
COS is seeking a Communications and Outreach Coordinator to join its Product team. Reporting to the Director of Product, the Communications and Outreach Coordinator plays an essential role in COS’s outreach efforts and ability to meet its mission. The Communications and Outreach Coordinator is responsible for promoting all of COS’s products, services, and programs.
- Coordinate and implement digital communication and outreach materials, supporting the work of the product and policy teams
- Create and manage a variety of mediums, such as: photos, videos, logos, and infographics for press releases, blogs, social media, email, newsletters and other promotional copy
- Maintain a communications calendar, materials, and the databases of community, stakeholder and press contacts for distribution
- Plan and organize editorial themes, leveraging the organization’s experts to generate and curate content.
- Maintain the COS website, distribute email promotions, and develop other web-based communications to disseminate digital materials to target audiences
- Coordinate social media posting to reach target audiences, including management of the posting schedule, organization of content from a distributed team of experts, and managing relationships with current and future social media followers
- Monthly reporting on marketing data to aid management in decision making; includes measuring success of activities, devising iterative plans for testing methods of reaching new and existing audiences
- Respond to inbound queries directly or route to appropriate member of team, promote compliments and other valuable audience contributions, and mitigate negative commentary
- Leverage existing channels of communication, determine best fit for strategy execution, and develop new channels to maximize reach and impact in support of the COS mission
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Creativity and ability to convey ideas in a clear and concise way
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining strong attention to detail.
- Self-starter and independent worker who continually seeks new challenges and responsibilities
- Proficiency in email marketing platforms, such as Mailchimp
- Proficiency with HTML and content management systems, such as Wagtail
- Working knowledge of databases and/or customer relation management software such as Salesforce is preferred
- Proficiency in using Google Analytics and Adwords
- Sound judgment, professionalism, and a positive attitude
- Resourcefulness, creativity, and strong problem-solving skills
- 1-3 years experience in marketing, journalism, or communications
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, Communications, or equivalent work experience
- Experience in developing content that may use social media, multimedia, and web publishing tools
- Experience in tracking consumption metrics with the ability to synthesize the output data and develop plans for optimizations or testing
- Experience with graphic design for development of logos, layouts, and posters is preferred
- Experience with SEO a plus.
COS offers full time employees:
-401(k) with employer match
-COS offers a matching contribution of 100% up to 3% of pay and another 50% up to 5% of pay (the full match will be 4% if participants elect to defer 5%)
-Health, dental, and vision insurance. COS covers 100% of employee premium and 50% of all dependent coverage costs under the base plan
-15 days vacation in year one
-Paid family medical leave
-COS offers paid leave for up to three (3) months to all full-time, regular employees to care for their child after birth, after or during the adoption process, or to care for their spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition
-Modern office space and other amenities
-COS promotes a flexible work environment that supports a healthy work/life balance
-Salary is expected to be between upper 40s to lower 50s depending on relevant experience and skills.
COS is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from members of groups underrepresented in science and technology industries. Please submit a resume, a cover letter explaining your background and interest in the position, and a writing sample. Questions about the position and COS are welcome and can be directed to email@example.com.