Senior Engineering Manager
Newbury, UK /
Development – Engineering - Americas / Europe / Asia /
Coupa Software (NASDAQ: COUP), a leader in business spend management (BSM), has been certified as a “Great Place to Work” by the Great Place to Work organization. We deliver “Value as a Service” by helping our customers maximize their spend under management, achieve significant cost savings and drive profitability. Coupa provides a unified, cloud-based spend management platform that connects hundreds of organizations representing the Americas, EMEA, and APAC with millions of suppliers globally. The Coupa platform provides greater visibility into and control over how companies spend money. Customers – small, medium and large – have used the Coupa platform to bring billions of dollars in cumulative spend under management. Learn more at www.coupa.com. Read more on the Coupa Blog or follow @Coupa on Twitter.
Do you want to work for Coupa Software, the world's leading provider of cloud-based spend management solutions? We’re a company that had a successful IPO in October 2016 (NASDAQ: COUP) to fuel our innovation and growth. At Coupa, we’re building a great company that is laser focused on three core values:
1. Ensure Customer Success – Obsessive and unwavering commitment to making customers successful.
2. Focus On Results – Relentless focus on delivering results through innovation and a bias for action.
3. Strive For Excellence – Commitment to a collaborative environment infused with professionalism, integrity, passion, and accountability.
- Be a highly technical manager with deep experience in software and systems
- Be a functional manager
– Lead from the front during problem-solving sessions by understanding and empowering the team by articulating clearly the context and business rationale.
– Partner with peer engineering managers and leads to drive continuous process improvements and innovation.
– Be a subject matter expert, lead the team by example and have strategic influence.
– Establish trust and coordinate with distributed product management, support, data centre operations, and other peer engineering teams.
– Maintain a balance between building high-quality products and shipping code fast.
– Help engineers to develop their career plans and assign project work tailored to their skillsets and aspirations.
– Metrics driven to measure and track the progress of feature development, quality of the code, and productivity of the team.
– Work with other engineering leaders to continuously improve the overall development processes.
– Able to work with cross-functional teams and translate functional requirements into technical design and implementations.
– Ability to pick up functional knowledge of the product at a fast pace.
– Partner with the recruiting team through the entire hiring process which includes sourcing, interviewing and onboarding.
– Provide continuous feedback and create action plans for both under and high performing team members.
- 2+ years of prior relevant technical lead or management experience. Someone who grew into management from an individual contributor role.
- Master’s or Bachelor's plus 5 years experience in a web application or platform development and architecture
- Solid hands-on experience with Java, J2EE, and related frameworks.
- Experienced in mentoring, managing engineers, recruiting and retaining top talent.
- Strong commitment to good engineering discipline and process including code reviews and delivering unit tests in conjunction with feature delivery.
- Ability to make decisions and work with minimal direction even under pressure.
- Prior experience demonstrating the ability to understand technical architecture, review design work and provide feedback to a talented team of engineers.
- Experience establishing and reviewing business metrics with the ability to articulate and provide visibility to the team on various business metrics ensuring every new feature developed meets and is tracked towards those metrics.
- Ability to manage priorities set appropriate expectations with peer engineering management and deliver features on time with high quality.
- Ability to identify the training needs of various team members and ramp new hires on products, process, and technology.
- Technically deep enough to participate in roadmap prioritization.
- Familiarity and experience with agile (scrum) development process
- Strong listening, written and verbal communication skills.
- Prior hands-on experience with open source technologies such as Spring, Hibernate, SpringBoot
- Experience working within a distributed engineering team
- Experience using chef, puppet or other deployment automation tools
- Hands on experience in deploying services on AWS, Azure or Google Cloud platform
- Strong working knowledge of RDBMS technologies and prior experience working with an enterprise database such as Oracle, Postgres.
- Bonus points if you have contributed to an open-source project
- Experience with agile (scrum) development process as an individual contributor and as a functional manager
- Team lead or Scrum master experience
- Proven track record of identifying and championing new technologies that enhance the end-user experience, software quality, and developer productivity
- Past experience working in a fast-paced environment
- Prior experience leading efforts involving Machine Learning capabilities in an enterprise SaaS application
At Coupa, we have a strong and innovative team dedicated to improving the spend management processes of today’s dynamic businesses. It’s our people who make it happen, and we strive to attract and retain the best in every discipline.
We take care of our employees every way we can, with competitive compensation packages, as well as restricted stock units, an Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP), comprehensive health benefits for employees and their families, retirement and savings plans with employer match, a flexible work environment, no limit vacations for exempt employees, non-exempt employees are on an accrual basis for PTO, catered lunches…And much more!
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Coupa is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or religion.
Please be advised, inquiries or resumes from recruiters will not be accepted.