Contracts Manager (contract)
Mountain View, CA /
Legal – Legal /
Coursera is a leading online learning platform for higher education, where 64 million learners from around the world come to learn skills of the future. More than 200 of the world’s top universities and industry educators partner with Coursera to offer courses, Specializations, certificates, and degree programs. 2,500 companies trust the company’s enterprise platform Coursera for Business to transform their talent. Coursera for Government equips government employees and citizens with in-demand skills to build a competitive workforce. Coursera for Campus empowers any university to offer high-quality, job-relevant online education to students, alumni, faculty, and staff. Coursera is backed by leading investors that include Kleiner Perkins, New Enterprise Associates, Learn Capital, and SEEK Group.
The legal team is looking to hire an experienced, intelligent, organized, and energetic Contracts Manager on a temporary, contracted basis starting in June, 2020, for approximately 8-12 weeks. The position may be performed remotely and will require 25-30 hours per week. You will draft, review, and negotiate vendor agreements, as well as coordinate and help administer the company’s contracts systems and processes. A critical part of this role is to understand the priorities of the Company and the Legal & Compliance Department to effectively prioritize time and attention and serve as a reliable point of contact for internal and external parties. You will work within a growing legal team to help build Coursera’s business, and work across the organization (with marketing, sales, finance, business development, engineering and product) in service of Coursera’s growth and long-term success. Your ability to exercise both sound judgement and discretion is key.
To be successful in this role, we’re looking for someone who is passionate about education and energized by the challenges of working in a startup, has a strong proficiency with contract drafting, negotiation and management, and can function integrally as part of an interdisciplinary team. This role will engage with all levels of employees and management, so communication skills are vital to strong working relationships.
Check out life at Coursera on The Muse!
- Draft, review, and/or negotiate a variety of commercial documents, including vendor contracts, SOW/ISAs, NDAs, data protection addenda, recruiting agreements, amendments, upsell agreements, renewal agreements, and change orders
- Monitor contracts management system and assign matters as appropriate
- Update and oversee databases and form files
- Provide assistance to a global team, including competence in navigating different cultural and legal norms around the world
- Provide interpretation of contractual terms and guidance on legal and business risks as well as providing creative solutions to potential issues
- Maintain and revise template agreements (under supervision of a senior attorney)
- Maintain electronic filing of agreements and metadata
- Communicate and track requirements resulting from special terms
- Assist the legal team’s efforts in the preparation, implementation, and refinement of forms, playbooks, systems, processes, and procedures
- Handle special projects as required or requested
- 5+ years contract experience
- Experience with the Ironclad Contract Management System preferred
- Demonstrated experience in drafting, reviewing, negotiating, and managing contracts from start to finish
- Excellent legal judgment, with ability to identify and manage potential risks in pursuit of business objectives
- Ability to leverage a playbook and advocate for preferred terms, with judgment to negotiate fallback terms where appropriate
- Familiarity with legal terminology, principles and documentation and general knowledge of broad based substantive legal matters such as contracts and intellectual property
- Excellent organizational skills, keen attention to detail, and unfailing follow-up to effectively manage multiple activities of varying difficulty, priority and complexity with a short turnaround time
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, strong analytical and creative-problem solving abilities, excellent interpersonal and operational skills
- Mac, Google Docs and Office suite proficiency, including Microsoft Word Experience using Google Drive and DocuSign
- Strong sense of accountability, integrity and taking ownership over projects and responsibilities and resolving issues proactively
- Comfort working in ambiguous, quickly-changing environments
- Outstanding ability to collaborate, understand, and communicate with others
Coursera is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected class.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please review our CCPA Applicant Notice here.