Commercial Counsel, Public Sector
United States (Remote) /
Legal – Legal /
Coursera is a leading online learning platform for higher education, where 77 million learners from around the world come to learn skills of the future. More than 200 of the world’s top universities and industry educators partner with Coursera to offer courses, Specializations, certificates, and degree programs. Thousands of companies trust the company’s enterprise platform Coursera for Business to transform their talent. Coursera for Government equips government employees and citizens with in-demand skills to build a competitive workforce. Coursera for Campus empowers any university to offer high-quality, job-relevant online education to students, alumni, faculty, and staff. Coursera is backed by leading investors that include Kleiner Perkins, New Enterprise Associates, Learn Capital, and SEEK Group.
Legal and Compliance is responsible for managing all legal and regulatory matters, including contracts, corporate governance, general compliance, academic compliance, employment law matters, intellectual property, product counseling, government relations, and claims. The team includes dedicated teams that support every aspect of Coursera's platform, including university, enterprise, and industry partnerships.
As Commercial Counsel (Public Sector), the successful attorney will draft, negotiate, and manage commercial contracts and will work with business partners to create and improve processes in support of Coursera’s government business. This includes negotiating with customers ranging from US and international governments, international governmental organizations, to nonprofits and community colleges. We’re looking for an attorney who is passionate about business growth and education. We want a candidate who is energized by the challenges of growing a government enterprise business globally and being a strategic business partner for a dynamic team experiencing rapid expansion. This role will engage with all levels of employees and management, so interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) are vital to strong working relationships. The position requires a strong background in commercial law.
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating commercial agreements (NDAs, data protection addenda, software purchase agreements, upsell and renewal agreements), government procurement documents, subcontracts, Teaming Agreements, solicitation contracts, and other related agreements or forms.
- Advising business teams on compliance with federal and applicable state and local procurement regulation and terms of procurement documents (e.g., RFQ, RFP), as well as international government procurement process. Interfacing with our sales, information security, privacy and finance teams to navigate customer requirements.
- Reviewing and advising on legal issues related to strategic initiatives, business decks, or other collateral related to the government business, as well as product counseling where needed.
- Provide interpretation of contractual terms and guidance on legal and business risks as well as providing creative solutions to potential issues.
- Keeping abreast of applicable laws, regulations and industry guidance that impact Coursera’s commercial agreements and business practices as it relates to the government business in the US and internationally.
- Research/advise on recent government contracting legal developments and best practices to help with scaling the business; Develop/recommend risk management policies and operating procedures to address specific legal issues.
- Help build processes and manage post-contracting compliance requirements and working with cross-functional teams to follow through on such requirements.
- JD with 4+ years of relevant post qualification experience
- Experience working with US government contracting
- Experience working on commercial contracting
- Prior in-house experience at a global technology company preferred
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of government contracting and associated regulatory issues, with proven experience in the FAR, DFARS, and State & Local contracting frameworks.
- Prior experience working with RFP, RFQ, and procurement vendor forms.
- Demonstrated experience in negotiating, drafting, and managing contracts from start to finish Possess a practical approach to problem-solving and be able to counsel internal clients with clear, concise and creative advice on timelines to meet business needs.
- Adaptability to work with both US and international government contracts as well as other commercial agreements.
- Possesses excellent organizational and project management skills
- Thrives in an ever-changing, start-up environment, and works quickly under time-pressure deadlines
Coursera is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected class.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, please contact us at email@example.com.
Please review our CCPA Applicant Notice here.