Sr Mechanical Engineer
Engineering – Hardware
Our mission is to build the Covariant Brain, a universal AI to give robots the ability to see, reason and act on the world around them. Bringing AI from research in the lab to the infinite variability and constant change of our customer’s real-world operations requires new ideas, approaches and techniques.
Success in the real world requires a team that represents that world: diversity of backgrounds, points of view, and experiences. Our common denominator: ambitious expectations, love of learning, empathy for those around us, and a team-first mindset.
We are looking for an experienced senior mechanical engineer to design and scale reliable, innovative new hardware components to meet the needs of our cutting edge AI applications.
We’re creative yet make data-driven decisions
You will need to be able to quickly generate multiple new concepts to solve our many real world challenges. While simulations and theoretical analysis are critical, you will also need to excel at developing rigorous testing plans and data gathering to select the best design and inform future iterations.
Reliability is key for real world AI applications
You will need industry experience and an attention to detail to create designs that have reliability at their core. You’ll understand the critical role of process, applying it where necessary, and creating specs for accelerated life-cycle testing, both setting up and overseeing these tests in-house and with external testing partners.
We operate at scale
You will need experience designing components for manufacture and assembly, such that production can be scaled to meet the growing demand for our AI solutions. You will need to be able to interface with an overseas team and take the lead on specifying quality control, testing criteria, communicating timelines and processes for hardware you design.
We excel through cross-disciplinary interaction
You will need to work and communicate effectively with others who are at the top of their respective fields. This will mean understanding requirements, reviewing data and communicating ideas and concepts through drawings, CAD & working prototypes. As we deal with machine vision, sensors, communication protocols, and software, you will need some experience in these fields as well as the ability and willingness to learn fast on the job.
- Strong CAD skills (5+ yrs in Solidworks preferred)
- Mechatronics skills, specializing in actuation & sensing
- FEA, vibration analysis, risk analysis
- Rapid prototyping, CNC, sheet metal design, plastics molding
- Electronics & PCB integration, connectors & wiring harness design
- CAM, fabrication documentation, GD&T, vendor selection, materials sourcing
- Design-for-manufacturing, Design for assembly, tooling experience
- Communication, documentation and presentation
- Project management and planning, PLM, Jira & Confluence
- Design of or working with robotic arms, pneumatics or actuation
- Automation of warehouses, factories or labs
- Experience in a research lab or R&D division
- Sensors and control systems
- Cameras, optics, lenses, precision calibration
- Linux shell, Python scripts and data analysis
Health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family
Unlimited time off Flexible work hours
Lunch and dinner each day
401(k) plan and match
At covariant.ai we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Covariant.ai is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.