Sr. Software Engineer (Motion Planning)
Berkeley, CA /
Engineering – Software /
Our mission is to build the Covariant Brain, a universal AI to give robots the ability to see, reason and act on the world around them. Bringing AI from research in the lab to the infinite variability and constant change of our customer’s real-world operations requires new ideas, approaches and techniques.
Success in the real world requires a team that represents that world: diversity of backgrounds, points of view, and experiences. Our common denominator: ambitious expectations, love of learning, empathy for those around us, and a team-first mindset. Read more about our culture at https://www.keyvalues.com/covariant .
As a Sr. Software Engineer with focus on Motion Planning, you will:
- Design and build software for simulation, collision checking, motion planning, and robot control, with attention to performance, reliability, security, and code quality.
- Shape the architecture of the systems that power the next generation of intelligent machines.
- Develop and evolve software engineering practices for the unique needs of distributed AI-powered cyber-physical systems.
- Help to define the values and culture at a small and rapidly-growing company. Identify and establish healthy engineering processes.
- Deliver previously-impossible robotics capabilities that solve real needs for our partners and customers.
- Collaborate with, learn from, and support a diverse and cross-functional team, including mechanical, electrical and robotics engineers, AI/ML researchers, and business development.
We're looking for candidates with:
- Previous experience as a senior engineer or tech lead, providing impactful technical leadership for a team while fostering a healthy engineering culture.
- A track record of successfully designing, planning, building, maintaining, and operating production-grade software systems.
- Commitment to continuous learning and willingness to work in a variety of technical areas as needed, to solve real problems and deliver business impact.
Note: Prior experience with motion planning or control algorithms is NOT required.
You might be a good fit if you:
- Desire to work with a small collaborative team, with a high degree of autonomy and responsibility.
- Are motivated to work on challenging real-world engineering problems without prior solutions.
- Are excited to join coworkers that strive to be inclusive, thoughtful, and down-to-earth.
- Enjoy building not only software, but also teams and companies.
- Are self-directed and enjoy figuring out what is the most important problem to work on.
Health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family
Unlimited time off Flexible work hours
Lunch and dinner each day
401(k) plan and match
At covariant.ai we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Covariant.ai is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.