Operations – Field Engineer
At covariant.ai, innovation is at the core of our company. Curiosity, tenacity, and passion motivate us to bring the next generation of robotic automation to the world’s factories, warehouses and, one day, even homes.
Drawing on recent advances in Deep Imitation Learning and Deep Reinforcement Learning, covariant.ai is developing AI software that makes it easy for robots to learn new, complex skills.
Founded by Pieter Abbeel, Peter Chen, Rocky Duan and Tianhao Zhang, we are based in Berkeley, CA and backed by top Silicon Valley venture capital firms.
As a part of a rapidly growing startup, you will have the rare opportunity to build and develop software that mimics human behavior without the help of engineers, while also growing and developing your own skills and passions as the company expands. Join us on an exciting journey as we bring the latest breakthroughs in artificial intelligence to the future of robotics.
As a Field Engineer you will:
- Be the spear point of the effort to deploy the best industrial deep learning on Earth.
- Enjoy cross-disciplinary work as you troubleshoot and compose hardware, electronics, and software.
- Utilize both technical and soft skills as you work directly with customers to lead the deployment of Covariant’s robotics systems.
- Collaborate across time zones and continents as you travel to deployment sites.
- Collaborate with product management, research, and engineering teams to guide the future direction of Covariant products.
Essential skills and credentials:
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant field (e.g. EE, ME, CS) or portfolio of comparable quality
- Experience working on professional or personal hardware projects which include mechanical, electronic and software elements
- Strong interpersonal skills to collaborate with others. Natural disposition to give attention, respect and earnest effort to others thereby earning their confidence.
- Ability to identify and assess different creative approaches to solve the same problem
- Ability to remain calm under pressure (e.g. troubleshooting a halted system in front of the customer)
- Familiarity with Linux, Ubuntu, and Command Line usage
- Familiarity with programming in one or more languages
- Willingness to travel (50%-75%)
Preferred skills and credentials:
- 3D CAD experience (SolidWorks preferred), experience in reading and generating design drawings
- Familiarity with computer networking
- Experience programming in Python
- Interest to learn basic principles of deep learning
- Experience working in a startup or similarly fast-paced and self-directed environment
Health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family
Unlimited time off
Flexible work hours
Lunch and dinner each day
401(k) plan and match
At covariant.ai we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Covariant.ai is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.