Machine Learning Engineer
Emeryville, CA /
Research – Research Engineer /
Our mission is to build the Covariant Brain, a universal AI to give robots the ability to see, reason and act on the world around them. Bringing AI from research in the lab to the infinite variability and constant change of our customer’s real-world operations requires new ideas, approaches and techniques.
Success in the real world requires a team that represents that world: diversity of backgrounds, points of view, and experiences. Our common denominator: ambitious expectations, love of learning, empathy for those around us, and a team-first mindset.
The Covariant Brain is a Universal AI Platform that powers all robotic applications at Covariant. The Brain is a collection of state-of-the-art models, algorithms, and APIs that enable all intelligent behavior of the robot, from perception to 3d object understanding, grasp sampling, ranking, motion planning, and control. As an ML Engineer, you will work closely with researchers, SW engineers, and HW engineers to ensure that the Brain can deliver autonomy to our products and customers.
- Understand and iterate on all aspects of the Brain (models, algorithms, tooling, etc.) to resolve production failures and deliver human-level autonomy
- Take real-world challenges and engineer ML & robotics solutions by applying state-of-the-art approaches: training, testing, tuning, iterating, and deploying models to solve production problems
- Build tools and analyze a highly complex system of robots, models, components, and sensors to understand limitations and apply ML approaches to overcoming them
- Collaborate closely with research, SW, HW, and infrastructure teams to deliver highly reliable robotic applications
- Proficiency in Python and experience with tensor libraries (e.g. NumPy, PyTorch, TensorFlow)
- A solid mathematical and statistical foundation with an understanding of how to apply ML concepts (e.g. training, optimizers, regression, classification, etc.)
- Demonstrated strong problem-solving ability: analyzing real-world problems and formulating solutions, iterating and formulating, shipping, and making an impact on products for customers
- Clear communication and collaboration across teams
NICE TO HAVES
- Trained, deployed, and analyzed ML model or robotics applications in production
- Strong understanding of the state of the art in Computer Vision and Robotics literature
- Experience working with complex data infra and highly concurrent SW systems
COMPANY CORE VALUES
STRIVING FOR EMPATHY
TAKING ON THE IMPOSSIBLE, TOGETHER
Health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family
Flexible work hours
401(k) plan and match (applies only to United States employees)
Lunch and dinner each day (for on-site employees)
Monthly Health & Wellness budget
Quarterly Learning budget
At covariant.ai we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. Covariant.ai is proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.