Engineering – Hardware
Our mission is to build the Covariant Brain, a universal AI to give robots the ability to see, reason and act on the world around them. Bringing AI from research in the lab to the infinite variability and constant change of our customer’s real-world operations requires new ideas, approaches and techniques.
Success in the real world requires a team that represents that world: diversity of backgrounds, points of view, and experiences. Our common denominator: ambitious expectations, love of learning, empathy for those around us, and a team-first mindset.
We are looking for an experienced, hands-on and detail-oriented lab manager to help us grow and manage our in-house prototyping, procurement, hardware testing and robotic station capabilities for our cutting edge AI applications.
While experience in the industry is critical, a lot of our technology stack is new, so we value an ability and willingness to learn and the initiative to propose and carry through solutions to new challenges that may arise.
While you will be in charge of managing the majority of operations on the ground, some opportunities to travel to international deployments and partners may arise and is optional.
As a Lab Manager you will be involved in:
- managing and improving our in-house lab
- keeping inventory of parts, tools, and consumables
- operating our in-house tools and taking the lead on specifying future capabilities
- assist in creating and enforcing industry standard safety practices
- communicating effectively with team members for managing and helping to build in-house robotic cells, R&D rigs, reliability test setups and staging hardware
Being in charge of procurement, you will be involved in:
- handling material requirements for builds
- sourcing, negotiating with and managing suppliers
- forecasting demand and driving deadlines
- managing shipping and customs
- communicating effectively with remote sourcing and manufacturing teams
With prior experience as a senior technician, you will be involved in:
- both leveraging technicians and getting your hands dirty when necessary
- designing and building structural elements, using everything from 8020 to welded steel
- troubleshooting mechanical, electrical and pneumatic components
- operating equipment including but not limited to industrial robotic arms, forklifts, precision camera calibration jigs, network switches and server racks
- forecasting staffing needs and helping to grow the team and fill in gaps
- CAD and relevant software tools, specifically Solidworks
- Writing SOP’s, maintaining safety processes, knowledge of industry standards
- Preparing and sending out designs to be quoted for rapid prototyping, CNCing, sheet metal fabrication, welding
- Ability to read and create wiring harness diagrams and rework electrical systems
- Electrical safety, grounding and three-phase power
- Handling BOM’s and material requirements for builds
- Jira workflows, Confluence, spreadsheets & inventory tracking, time invoicing software
- Effective communication, project management, and ability to drive deadlines
- Sourcing, negotiating and working with overseas vendors
- Taking initiative, ownership of challenges, and pushing for continuous improvement
- Ability and willingness to learn quickly on the job
- Industrial robotic arms or automation equipment
- Computer vision, industrial cameras, lenses and calibration setups
- Linux shell, Python and networking
Health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family
Unlimited time off Flexible work hours
Lunch and dinner each day
401(k) plan and match
At covariant.ai we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Covariant.ai is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.