Automation Technician (Weekend Shift)
Louisville, KY /
Go to Market – Solutions /
Our mission is to build the Covariant Brain, a universal AI to give robots the ability to see, reason and act on the world around them. Bringing AI from research in the lab to the infinite variability and constant change of our customer’s real-world operations requires new ideas, approaches and techniques.
Success in the real world requires a team that represents that world: diversity of backgrounds, points of view, and experiences. Our common denominator: ambitious expectations, love of learning, empathy for those around us, and a team-first mindset.
The Covariant support team is responsible for maintaining systems that use robotic arms powered by the Covariant Brain to drive value for our customers. The automation technician is a crucial member of the support team who will help us keep our robotic systems running at the site of one of our largest customers in Louisville, Kentucky. Our systems consist of a six-axis robotic arm, conveyor belts, shelves with simple electronics, PLCs, pneumatics, mechanical clamps, cameras, and more. A variety of electronic and mechanical systems power our cutting-edge automation systems! A great candidate likes and is comfortable maintaining and fixing complicated automation systems.
This is an hourly position that requires working Wednesday - Sunday or Saturday - Wednesday. You will be supplementing our onsite presence during the week, and solely responsible for maintenance during the weekend. The role can be 5x8 or 4x10, depending on your preference, but it must cover Saturday and Sunday. The place of performance for this role is our customer’s warehouse in Louisville, Kentucky.
AREAS OF FOCUS
- Repairs - With strong support from engineering, you will learn to diagnose and repair our automation systems
- Preventative maintenance - Run through maintenance protocols to keep our systems running smoothly
- Get extensive training on how to repair and maintain cutting-edge robotic systems
- Work closely with onsite engineering
- See up close how AI-powered robotic systems work
- Be a core part of an up-and-coming Silicon Valley startup
- Have an opportunity to learn and grow in other positions and other systems over time
- Travel occasionally to the home office and other sites
- A sense of ownership - You will work independently on challenging problems and no one will be looking over your shoulder at all times. You will be empowered to do good work independently, which comes with the expectation that you will be responsible for your outcomes.
- Experience repairing complex electrical and mechanical systems
- A proven mechanical aptitude for performing any mechanical component repair or replacement
- Troubleshooting experience using deductive reasoning
- A High School Diploma or GED AND 5 years of mechanical, electrical, robotic, controls, or engineering experience OR Associate's degree in a technical field AND 3 years of mechanical, electrical, robotic, controls, or engineering experience OR Bachelor's Degree AND 1 year of mechanical, electrical, robotic, controls, or engineering experience
NICE TO HAVES
- Conversational Spanish
- Experience with robotic systems
- Experience with warehouse automation
- Experience with related applications: precision assembly, material handling, packaging, dispensing applications, etc.
- Knowledge of PLC communications and other robotic peripheral equipment
COMPANY CORE VALUES
STRIVING FOR EMPATHY
TAKING ON THE IMPOSSIBLE, TOGETHER
Health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family
Flexible work hours
401(k) plan and match (applies only to United States employees)
Lunch and dinner each day (for on-site employees)
Monthly Health & Wellness budget
Quarterly Learning budget
At covariant.ai we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. Covariant.ai is proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.