Open Source Web Developer
Technology – Projects Development
Full time - Remote
Here’s who we’re looking for:
On top of being a highly effective coder, the ideal candidate will be an extremely effective communicator, both verbally and in writing, and should have well-formed opinions about how to deliver top-quality digital solutions in a professional context. Good developers can create code that solves a problem. Great developers can also communicate why that code solves a problem, how it does so, and how to implement it.
While we recognize that some candidates may not be expert-level developers, and we’re open to the idea of an otherwise ideal candidate gaining greater proficiency on the job, we require a good degree of of familiarity with creating high-performing open source solutions. This is not an entry-level position.
We welcome applicants who aren't sure if they meet all of the qualifications of this job posting. Very few things are absolutely inflexible should someone fit in every other way, and even if they are, we've often hired, in later cycles, those who didn't get hired the previous time around. If you think you’ve got what it takes but you’re worried you might be missing one qualification or another, we think you should apply.
Why you should apply
At Crowd Favorite, we’re protective of our culture, our process, and our clients. When you join our team, you’ll quickly realize this isn’t like other jobs. It’s a transformative experience.
Must-haves (non-technical requirements):
- Ability to work continental-US hours (approximate 9-6 US Central)
- Access to consistent, high-speed Internet
- Fluency in the English language, both verbal and written
- Ability to self-manage and self-organize in distributed work environments, and to take direction in remote work situations
- Effective in communicating with team members and has experience using email, Slack and multiple communication channels
- Ability to work in a client services - focused agency
- Ability to analyze a problem, organizing its unknowns and identify possible knowns
- Ability to produce detailed technical requirements and specifications with estimates of effort
- Ability to create actionable plans for creating digital solutions
- Ability to problem-solve in collaborative calls, including with client teams
- Ability to work in a client services-focused agency
- Attention to detail: mention a dragon in your application, resume, or cover letter
- Interest in and willingness to learn new technologies, refine your skill set, and keep your skills sharp in the ever-evolving open source technology landscape
Must-haves (technical requirements):
- Proficient in modern object-oriented PHP
- Proficient in developing high-performing code
- Proficient in Laravel development
- Experience in WordPress and WooCommerce development, going beyond theme or WooCommerce templating
- Proficient in modern web development tooling and continuous integration/deployment
- Experience in web site performance optimization, both front-end and back-end
- Experience with unit and integration testing
- Experience with PWAs
- Familiarity with web standards and accessibility
- Experience with mobile platforms like Flutter, React Native, or NativeScript-Vue
- Experience with containerization tools like Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with AWS setup and configuration
This is a development position, so code is involved.
Be ready to review some examples of effective solutions that you created, as well as your approach to the development plan, the estimates and breakdown of requirements. A link to a Git repo or Bitbucket repo gives us something to look at together.
Be ready to discuss them, to talk about them. Walk us through your thought processes. What worked, what didn’t work, etc.
Be ready to talk about how long it took to create the solutions. How off was the time it took from the original estimates?