Intellectual Property Manager
We're the driverless car company. We’re building the world’s best autonomous vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
Our vehicles are on the road in California, Arizona, and Michigan navigating some of the most challenging and unpredictable driving environments. We’re hiring people who want to solve some of today’s most complex engineering challenges and make a positive impact.
Cruise is looking for an Intellectual Property Manager to help us make the most of our incredible inventors. Cruise’s employees—especially its engineers—generate huge amounts of intellectual property. This role will actively manage our inventors’ IP generation, while minimizing staff time spent on IP documentation and administration. Our first dedicated IP hire, this person will play a key role in shaping how Cruise treats and protects its IP.
- Interview engineers and other employees to “capture” their newest and greatest ideas
- Assist or complete inventors’ input of ideas and protectable intellectual property into tracking system
- Understand Cruise’s current IP standing, and work closely with GM to develop and implement Cruise’s overall IP strategy
- Act as first responder to inventor questions
- Review and work with GM to draft filings (e.g., patent, trademark) and ensure their accuracy and coverage of original invention
- Work with internal stakeholders and outside counsel to respond to office actions
- Work with legal, finance, and engineering to create intellectual property plan, policies, and budget
- Degree in an engineering discipline (computer science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering)
- 3 years experience
- Strong technical understanding and literacy, to help draft patent submissions and other filings, with associated diagrams, with support from engineers and patent agents
- Ability to write clear, structured prose
- A personable nature, able to work with engineers to commit their ideas accurately to paper, and able to get the same engineers to provide necessary follow-up in a timely way
- Ability to spot strengths and weaknesses in drafted patents, even without understanding beforehand the details of the underlying technology
- Good record-keeping and organizational skills
- Business acumen
- Patent agent
- Experience drafting patents or in technical writing
- Experience as patent manager
- Graduate degree in relevant field
- Solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including matched 401k, medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your work station
- Lunch, snacks, and dinner
- Free rides in self-driving cars!
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.