We're the driverless car company. We’re building the world’s best autonomous vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
Our vehicles are on the road in California, Arizona, and Michigan navigating some of the most challenging and unpredictable driving environments. We’re hiring people who want to solve some of today’s most complex engineering challenges and make a positive impact.
The mechanical design engineer is responsible for designing and releasing components and systems for Cruise’s automated driving hardware platform both in the prototype and production environment. We are looking for passionate and talented engineers to join the vehicle engineering team. This team is responsible for the hardware platform as a whole which encompasses major subsystems such as the roof module, compute suite, and the sensor suite. Successful members of the team will generally have a breadth of design engineering interests and capabilities as well as an area of more focused expertise in order to conceptualize, specify, develop, design, release, and launch thermal, electrical, and mechanical components and systems for Cruise’s hardware platform for automated driving technology. This position reports to the Vehicle Engineering Team Manager.
- Derive requirements and specifications for systems and components
- Create DFMEA, statement of work, and other engineering documentations
- Design with NX, Solidworks, or similar software
- Conduct FEA on common cases and optimize designs based on results
- Work with engineers across the vehicle engineering team and with different teams as needed
- Collaborate with prototype and production suppliers
- Design for the appropriate manufacturing process based on quantity estimates
- Validate components and systems to spec
- Prototype various hardware projects
- Bachelor of Science or higher in mechanical engineering or equivalent
- 2+ years of industry experience
- Able to deliver with little oversight
- Strong communicator
- Experience in complex electromechanical and thermal systems
- Proficiency in NX, or similar 3D CAD software (Solidworks, ProE, Unigraphics, etc)
- Knowledge of GD&T
- Experience with medium to high volume production
- Knowledge of relevant manufacturing processes and a variety of engineering materials
- Knowledge of standard manufacturing processes
- Knowledge of common material properties
- Solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including matched 401k, medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your work station
- Lunch, snacks, and dinner
- Free rides in self-driving cars!
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.