Software Engineer: Platform
San Francisco, CA /
Crunchbase is the best place to discover innovative companies, connect with the people behind them, and uncover new opportunities. Over 55 million professionals—including entrepreneurs, investors, market researchers, and salespeople—trust Crunchbase to inform their business decisions. We believe diverse thinking fosters the discovery of new solutions and surfaces old problems that need answers. We are democratizing access to opportunities so that people and companies with different perspectives can accelerate innovation for a better future. We are proud to build products that will shape how companies and people connect for the future.
Crunchbase is committed to a positive, diverse, and inclusive culture by hiring for potential, focused on the inclusion of people who have different ways of thinking, different viewpoints, different backgrounds, and different skill sets. We value a transparent and open culture that positively impacts our teams and our products.
The Data Network Team at Crunchbase
The Data Network team at Crunchbase builds several core contributor experiences for thousands of people critical to the success of Crunchbase, as well as a suite of internal applications. We value solving real problems for our users by pragmatically applying technology to help them. We’re continually building new experiences and improving our current ones, and you can help influence both which and how.
What You'll Do
- Craft clean, understandable code with good test coverage, empathize with our users, review pull requests, share your knowledge, and learn together with other team members
- Design, prototype, build, deploy and monitor scalable, stable Python services in a sophisticated microservice architecture
- Share in our team's end-to-end ownership of backend services with REST and Kafka APIs
- Coordinate and communicate across teams to integrate services, including with the core Crunchbase CQRS data graph platform
- Thrive in a rapidly changing environment, continuously working to adapt our process to new circumstances
What We're Looking For
- 2 years of professional experience
- Experience specifying and implementing REST services in Python
- Practice defining, querying and optimizing relational SQL databases
- Familiarity building, deploying & monitoring code in a multi-service or micro-services architecture
- Working understanding of computer science and software engineering fundamentals
- Motivation to participate in ongoing learning and growth through pair programming, code reviews, application of new technologies, and best practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Bonus Skills Not Required - We Expect Learning on the Job
- Experience with frontend development
- Knowledge of our specific tools like Django REST framework, Postgres, Kafka, Faust
- Familiarity with CI/CD concerns, containerized cloud build & deployment tools like Unixy systems, shell scripting, Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes, Helm
- Experience with messaging and eventually consistent systems
Crunchbase values fostering growth and developing our craft by offering a generous Learning and Development reimbursement policy for all employees to use towards classes, events, conferences, and more. We look for ways to give back to our community by giving 4 days off for volunteering per year. We understand the value of taking time to refresh and offer flexible paid time off. We are working to build a better future for everyone, and offer an annual carbon-offset paid by Crunchbase for all employees. These are just a few examples of our generous benefits package, check out our careers page to find out more.
Crunchbase does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, veteran status, military obligations, or marital status. Every day our team is honored to work with entrepreneurs and innovators from every corner of the globe, and we aim to build a team that reflects the diversity of our customers. Each individual at Crunchbase brings their own perspectives, work experiences, lifestyles, and cultures with them, and we believe that a more diverse team creates more innovative products, provides a better service to its customers, and helps us all grow and learn as individuals.