Staff Data Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Crunchbase helps the world discover and connect with the companies that matter. Our data platform is the foundation on top of which all these connections can be made - it not only powers the data at the heart of Crunchbase, but also hundreds of external sites and applications around the world. Our mission is to democratize the way innovators connect to opportunities, and over 50 million professionals—including entrepreneurs, investors, market researchers, and salespeople—trust Crunchbase to inform their business decisions.
We are hiring a Staff Data Engineer to join the Data Engineering team to help us build and design pipelines, tools, derive insights from the data we already have, as well as add more data from external sources to improve our platform.
Engineering at Crunchbase
The Crunchbase engineering team is a dynamic, fast-paced team that is committed to quickly delivering features, evaluating their performance, and iterating towards the product vision shared by the company.
We are organized in vertical teams that include cross-functional engineers as well as functional guildes aimed at working tightly with the product team to deliver high standards of code while iterating quickly on features.
We value open and honest communication and strive to build an environment where opinions and views can be shared and considered in an effort to reach the best decision.
Data Integrations Team
Our Data Integrations team is responsible for building and maintaining all automated solutions to get data from various sources into our platform, as well as the frameworks and processes to export this data. As Crunchbase grows, so does the amount of data we process, the number of sources it comes from, and the insights we derive from it. At its core, Crunchbase is a data company, and data integrations is at the heart of our platform.
What You Will Do
- Architect and build new dimensional data models and schema designs to improve accessibility, efficiency, consistency, and quality of both internal and production data
- Build, monitor, and maintain analytics and production data ETL pipelines
- Provide the foundation for a data-driven culture by empowering other engineers and the Product team to ask questions of the dataset in an easy, reliable way
- Enable data scientists to implement NLP and ML algorithms at scale, in fault-tolerant, highly available systems
Who You Are
- You have 5+ years of industry experience
- You have a proven understanding of computer science and software engineering fundamentals
- You are proficient in Python and SQL
- Experience with Kubernetes Kafka, Spark, data warehousing, or Airflow a plus. If no experience, you are passionate about learning
- Proven ability to design and deploy batch/streaming data pipelines or machine learning algorithms in production
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- You care about agile software, cross-team collaborations, and data-driven development and evaluation
What Crunchbase Offers
- Competitive salary and equity
- Generous Reimbursement policy for learning and development activities
- Daily catered lunches and plenty of snacks
- Fitness reimbursement (to work off the catered lunches)
- Flexible Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Volunteering Paid Time Off
- Incredible medical, vision and dental benefits for employees and their families
- Free One Medical Group membership for employees and their families
- 401(k) and Roth plans, and free annual financial adviser check-in
- Monthly commuting stipend
- Free Lyft rides anywhere in the Bay Area after late nights at the office
- Prime location in the Financial District of SF, near BART and Muni stops
- A team of creative, transparent entrepreneurs driven to accomplish our mission
Crunchbase does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, veteran status, military obligations, or marital status. Every day our team is honored to work with entrepreneurs and innovators from every corner of the globe, and we seek to build a team that reflects the diversity of our customers. Each individual at Crunchbase brings their own perspectives, work experiences, lifestyles, and cultures with them, and we believe that a more diverse team builds more innovative products, provides a better service to its customers, and helps us all grow and learn as individuals.