Kitchen Assistant (Sur La Table)
Palo Alto, CA /
Sur La Table- Stores – 073 - Palo Alto - Sur La Table, 855 El Camino Real #57, Palo Alto, CA 94301 /
With over 50 stores and the largest avocational cooking program in the US, Sur La Table offers an unsurpassed selection of exclusive and premium-quality goods for the kitchen and table – and the culinary expertise and inspiration to go along with it. Whether the job entails interacting with our customers, driving digital growth, or providing vital behind-the-scenes support, we’re all here for the same reason – to roll up our sleeves and create happiness through cooking and sharing good food.
The Kitchen Assistant contributes to the success of a Sur La Table store by inspiring customers on all points of their culinary journey. The Kitchen Assistant blends a passion for cooking and entertaining to support the Resident Chef in driving business results. The Kitchen Assistant reports to the Resident Chef.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides an exceptional customer experience according to customer service standards. Proactively seeks out and greets customers.
- Supports an exceptional cooking class experience at every class by acting as an extension of the instructor. Reinforces and supports the techniques being presented in class.
- Stays informed by maintaining product knowledge, accesses available training and seeks out additional resources when necessary.
- Works as a part of a high-performing team to achieve store’s sales plan. Strives to achieve individual and/or class sales goals.
- Consistently follows all Sur La Table policies and standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Shares product assortment and services such as, gift registry and cooking classes with customers. Demonstrates products upon request of a customer or as directed by a manager.
- Assists with shopping for ingredients, class preparation or additional support as needed or directed by instructor.
- Washes dishes, cleans kitchen and preps kitchen for classes. Accurately records time worked according to SLT policy.
- Demonstrates exceptional verbal and written communication skills with employees, customers, field management and corporate office.
- May handle, serve, and pour liquor, wine and beer and/or mix ingredients, such as liquor, soda, water and etc. in order to prepare cocktails and other drinks.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by Resident Chef
- Ability to communicate verbally and work cooperatively with employees and customers.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position for up to 3 hours at a time.
- Ability to move about the work place coaching and directing class participants or while selling to customers.
- Ability to distinguish, with a degree of accuracy, differences or similarities in intensity or quality of flavors or odors, or recognizing particular flavors or odors using tongue or nose.
- Ability to grab, reach, push, pull, bend, stoop, kneel and crouch in order to demonstrate, retrieve and/or replenish merchandise and/or cooking equipment.
- Ability to use hands to seize, hold, grasp, turn, or otherwise in order to chop, whisk, slice, stir, juice and/or demonstrate other techniques.
- Ability to work a varied schedule including nights and weekends as business dictates.
- Ability to operate a computer, POS system, keyboards, merchandise scanners and mouse in order to accomplish work.
- Regular and predictable attendance.
- Ability to ascend/descend ladders in order to retrieve and/or move merchandise.
- Ability to lift and/or move merchandise and/or kitchen equipment weighing up to 35 lbs.
- Environmental conditions: working with an open flame and/or other heating units, and exposure to variation in kitchen temperature.
Experience and Required Qualifications
- 1 year retail sales experience (preferred).
- 1 year food prep and/or kitchen operations experience (preferred).
- Valid Food Handlers and/or Food Managers Certification.
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Familiarity with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook).
Sur La Table Core Competencies for Everyone
- Focus on the Customer: You inspire and delight your customers.
- Be Genuine: Your communication style is respectful, effective and sincere.
- Make the Right Call: You effectively blend knowledge, experience, wisdom & decisive action.
- Take Ownership: You are committed, responsible and provide solutions.
- Achieve Results: You meet and exceed goals and expectations.
- $17.25 - $19.45 per hour
This job description represents a summary of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. Responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Sur La Table has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
CSC Generation Holdings family of brands provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state or local laws.
CSC Generation Holdings family of brands is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, CSC Generation will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed, please contact email@example.com