Culinary Lead (Sur La Table)
Carlsbad, CA /
Sur La Table- Stores – 046 - Carlsbad - Sur La Table, 1915 Calle Barcelona, Space #130, Carlsbad, CA 92009 /
With over 50 stores and the largest avocational cooking program in the US, Sur La Table offers an unsurpassed selection of exclusive and premium-quality goods for the kitchen and table – and the culinary expertise and inspiration to go along with it. Whether the job entails interacting with our customers, driving digital growth, or providing vital behind-the-scenes support, we’re all here for the same reason – to roll up our sleeves and create happiness through cooking and sharing good food.
The Culinary Lead contributes to the success of a Sur La Table store by inspiring customers on all points of their culinary journey. The Culinary Lead blends culinary talent, business acumen and teaching skills to support the Resident Chef in driving business results and the staffing and performance management of all culinary employees. The Culinary Lead reports to a Resident Chef.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Models and directs employees to ensure customer service standards are met.
- Delivers and holds employees accountable for an exceptional cooking class experience at every class using recipes and game plans provided.
- Contributes to an environment where employees are informed and capable by supporting and/or delivering training for all employees.
- Maintains proper storage, prep and service procedures and maintains all equipment and workspaces to ensure sanitary conditions.
- Ensures all food items are cooked and served at the correct temperature.
- Models and ensures all Sur La Table policies and standard operating procedures (SOPs) are communicated effectively to employees, maintained and consistently followed.
- Provides coaching in the moment and performance feedback to culinary employees.
- Seeks opportunities to increase cooking class and retail sales and directs culinary employees to execute sales plans.
- Anticipates and solves problems by taking decisive action, follows up with the Resident Chef.
- Stays informed by maintaining product knowledge, accesses available training and seeks out additional resources when necessary.
- Ensures the accuracy and integrity of employee information including, but not limited to, Time and Attendance records and personal data.
- Appropriately partners with Resident Chef, HQ Culinary Team, Human Resources and other departments as needed or necessary.
- Demonstrate exceptional verbal and written communication skills with employees, customers, field management and corporate office.
- Ensures adherence to applicable wage and hour laws. Accurately records time worked according to SLT policy.
- May handle, serve, and pour liquor, wine and beer and/or mix ingredients, such as liquor, soda, water and etc. in order to prepare cocktails and other drinks.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by Resident Chef.
- Ability to communicate verbally and work cooperatively with employees and customers.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position for up to 3 hours at a time.
- Ability to move about the work place coaching and directing employees and/or class participants or while selling to customers.
- Ability to distinguish, with a degree of accuracy, differences or similarities in intensity or quality of flavors or odors, or recognizing particular flavors or odors using tongue or nose.
- Ability to grab, reach, push, pull, bend, stoop, kneel and crouch in order to demonstrate, retrieve and/or replenish merchandise and/or cooking equipment.
- Ability to use hands to seize, hold, grasp, turn, or otherwise in order to chop, whisk, slice, stir, juice and/or demonstrate other techniques.
- Ability to work a varied schedule in order to teach classes at different times of the day, week and year.
- Ability to operate a computer, POS system, keyboards, merchandise scanners and mouse in order to accomplish work.
- Regular and predictable attendance.
- Ability to lift and/or move merchandise and/or kitchen equipment weighing up to 35 lbs.
- Environmental conditions: working with an open flame and/or other heating units, and exposure to variation in kitchen temperature.
Experience and Required Qualifications
- 1-2 Years progressively responsible kitchen operations or kitchen management experience.
- Culinary degree or equivalent Sous Chef experience considered in lieu of degree.
- Valid Food Handlers / Food Managers Certification.
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Familiarity with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Demonstrated successful teaching and training experience.
- Proven ability to drive sales and motivate teams.
- Proven training and communication skills.
- Proven leadership and financial management skills.
Sur La Table Core Competencies for Everyone:
- Focus on the Customer: You inspire and delight your customers.
- Be Genuine: Your communication style is respectful, effective and sincere.
- Make the Right Call: You effectively blend knowledge, experience, wisdom & decisive action.
- Take Ownership: You are committed, responsible and provide solutions.
- Achieve Results: You meet and exceed goals and expectations.
- $18.71 - $21.40 per hour
This job description represents a summary of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. Responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Sur La Table has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
CSC Generation Holdings family of brands provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state or local laws.
CSC Generation Holdings family of brands is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, CSC Generation will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org