Director of Real Estate
Real Estate /
Culdesac builds cities for people, not cars. Our goal is to create the first car-free city in the US. Culdesac’s CEO Ryan Johnson was previously on the founding team of Opendoor, and our investors include Khosla Ventures, Zigg Capital, Initialized Capital, and Y Combinator.
We started by creating the first car-free neighborhood built from scratch in the US - Culdesac Tempe, a $170 million mixed-use neighborhood development for 1,000 residents opening in 2021. The neighborhood covers 17 acres and features 55% open space, shared courtyards, and abundant bookable spaces. Culdesac is the co-developer and tech-enabled property manager. More on us here.
As the Director of Real Estate, you will have a critical role on Culdesac’s leadership team. You will shape Culdesac’s real estate strategy as we expand from our first project to our next set of neighborhood-scale ground-up mixed-use projects, while pioneering a new type of car-free urbanism.
- Create the development strategy for Culdesac's next set of projects, including site selection, project design, joint venture structure and formation, and capitalization
- Lead the development of Culdesac's projects, including: negotiations with potential JV partners, landowners, investors, government entities, and other partners; leading entitlement / approval processes; overseeing financial modeling; performing diligence and underwriting; managing coordination of consultants (architects, lawyers, etc.); ownership of the development schedule and budget
- Cultivate relationships with equity and debt investors for our current and future developments
- Proactively identify innovations in real estate financing and execute them in on-going developments
- Operates with an owner’s mindset, brings structure and excellence to ambiguous, high-intensity situations, is driven, ambitious, intellectually curious, and humble
- 5+ years of experience in real estate, including experience in ground-up real estate development (residential, hospitality, or mixed-use)
- Top-notch oral and written communication skills
- Experience with financial analysis and structuring real estate transactions
- Good to have: experience in the entire deal cycle of a ground-up development, from land acquisition, through stabilization, to disposition; ideal candidate has gone through full process for two projects
- Good to have: experience in fundraising or investor relations
Culdesac is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.