Culture Trip is a global hyper-growth startup operating in travel, media and entertainment. We create stories that reveal what is unique and special about a place, its people and its culture. In-house creative teams work with a global network of more than 300 freelance creators to produce articles, videos, photography, illustration and animation.
From just a dozen people in late 2016, the team has expanded to more than 250. This diverse group of software engineers, product designers, data scientists, editorial experts and content creators are spread across offices in London, New York City and Tel Aviv. Alumni of companies including Google, Facebook, Expedia, Lonely Planet, Spotify, Bloomberg, Viacom, TripAdvisor and the BBC have joined recently. A recent Series B funding injection from PPF Group of $80 million has further propelled rapid growth. Monthly unique visitors to the site have gone from 4 million to nearly 20 million, cross-platform social followers have increased from 1 million to 7 million, and app downloads have leapt from 50,000 to 2 million. Culture Trip videos have been viewed more than 2 billion times. Culture Trip, founded by Dr Kris Naudts, has been named by Forbes as one of the fastest-growing companies to watch.
Everyone working at Culture Trip is driven by a shared vision: to inspire people to go beyond their cultural boundaries and connect with the world around them. We want to bring the world to everyone and in doing so bring everyone closer together.
We are looking for an ambitious and experienced professional based in our London office to develop and execute a global commissioning strategy for photographic content. This is a creative managerial role that oversees a team of in-house photo editors and picture researchers. As the London Photo Lead, you will report to the Head of Photography, currently based in the New York office.
You are a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit, you should have a desire to make a real impact on how millions of locals and visitors experience their cities. Your aim will be to help build up our resources of digital image assets for our content teams. You should be able to communicate and collaborate with the writers, Commissioning Editors, Video Commissioners, and Illustration Commissioners in your regional content team as well as the Photo Commissioners in other regional content teams. The ability to brainstorm, ideate, create and execute content plans with your team and work quickly to mobilise around key events, trends and news is crucial. You should be a confident and extremely diligent person with the demonstrated ability to create and improve structures and processes.
You should always operate with scale in mind, establishing robust yet flexible processes to maximise assets and ensure systems can grow quickly and under pressure. You must have a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility and be an enthusiastic and collaborative team player. We offer an independent and dynamic working environment with plenty of potential to make an impact, as well as the opportunity to develop exciting content in cooperation with our departments: editorial, social media, commercial and tech.
- Manage and oversee an 8-10 member photo team in London (comprised of photo commissioners and picture researchers).
- Oversee the recruitment and management of a roster of freelance photographers on a global scale.
- Collaborate with our editorial, commercial and marketing teams to deliver content according to the needs of each department.
- Attend all relevant meetings (in-person and via video) and create, maintain and share relevant documents.
- Brainstorm and execute ideas for photography-led content across teams.
- Implement internal processes and enforce best practices across departments.
- Ensure photographic quality control and maintain standards.
- A proven track record within the photographic industry.
- This role reports to and works closely with Head of Photography.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Strong eye for compelling visuals and ideas for content across a selection of locations and interests.
- Experience and/or knowledge of photography agencies and resources.
- Experience with Google and Adobe Suites, Wordpress and/or other content management systems.
- Creative problem-solving skills.
- Strong understanding of copyright, content licensing laws and IP rights associated with digital assets.
- Clear communication style with a high degree of collaborative spirit.
- Strong management, organisational and people skills.
- Confidence interacting with photographers, editors, writers and executive stakeholders.
- Understanding of web-based analytics a plus.
- Experience working in a similar role in tech, media, publishing or image agency preferred.
Culture Trip is committed to equality of opportunity for all. We strongly believe that diversity of backgrounds, ethnicities, experience, circumstances, abilities and perspectives leads to a better workplace for our employees and a better product for our users.