New York City
Culture Trip is a global hyper-growth startup operating in travel, media and entertainment. We create stories that reveal what is unique and special about a place, its people and its culture. In-house creative teams work with a global network of more than 300 freelance creators to produce articles, videos, photography, illustration and animation.
From just a dozen people in late 2016, the team has expanded to more than 250. This diverse group of software engineers, product designers, data scientists, editorial experts and content creators are spread across offices in London, New York City and Tel Aviv. Alumni of companies including Google, Facebook, Expedia, Lonely Planet, Spotify, Bloomberg, Viacom, TripAdvisor and the BBC have joined recently. A recent Series B funding injection from PPF Group of $80 million has further propelled rapid growth. Monthly unique visitors to the site have gone from 4 million to nearly 20 million, cross-platform social followers have increased from 1 million to 7 million, and app downloads have leapt from 50,000 to 2 million. Culture Trip videos have been viewed more than 2 billion times. Culture Trip, founded by Dr Kris Naudts, has been named by Forbes as one of the fastest-growing companies to watch.
Everyone working at Culture Trip is driven by a shared vision: to inspire people to go beyond their cultural boundaries and connect with the world around them. We want to bring the world to everyone and in doing so bring everyone closer together.
We are looking for an ambitious and experienced Commissioning Editor based in our New York office to join our team of Commissioning Editors who manage contributing writers from across the globe. You will oversee the commissioning, production, editing, publishing and distribution of a large body of content from freelance writers across a number of countries.
You should be a confident and extremely diligent editor with the demonstrated ability to commission amazing stories about people, places and culture across different territories. As a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for all things culture, you should have a desire to make a real impact on how millions of people consume content. You must have a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility, and be an enthusiastic and collaborative team player.
We offer an independent and dynamic working environment with plenty of potential to make an impact, and the opportunity to develop exciting content.
- Commission and edit a wide range of articles from freelance writers covering different cities, countries and territories around the world
- Work with an in-house team of Commissioning Editors and Editorial Managers (in our London and NYC offices) to produce high-quality content on culture from various regions across the globe
- Oversee and take part in the recruitment of remote freelance writers on a regular basis
- Develop useful, inspiring, insightful and scalable story series to commission across various locations, strategically gearing content towards search engine optimisation and social media optimisation
- Work alongside our copy editors to ensure all content is published free of mistakes and adheres to our Editorial Guidelines, Style and Image Guides
- Collaborate with the Content, Sales, Marketing and Data teams on articles pertaining to specific interests and genres
- You will work with content across the following genres: travel, food, fashion, art, design, film, literature, music, real estate & architecture, sports, tech & entrepreneurship, and health & wellness
Desired Skills & Experience
- At least 3 years’ experience in media and/or publishing as an editorial assistant or editor
- Knowledge and experience of content curation and journalism within culture and travel is an absolute must
- Excellent organisational and people skills are essential to the role
- Previous remote management experience is a strong asset
- Exceptionally strong in editorial, with an eye for compelling stories covering a wide array of locations and topics
- Exceptionally strong editing skills with an eye for what makes a great story and how to engage readers with excellent copy
- Strong understanding of the differences between social media and search engine optimised content
- Aptitude for web analytics is desirable, including experience with Google Analytics or other related software
- Familiarity with WordPress is essential
Culture Trip is committed to equality of opportunity for all. We strongly believe that diversity of backgrounds, ethnicities, experience, circumstances, abilities and perspectives leads to a better workplace for our employees and a better product for our users.