Senior Photo Editor
Culture Trip is a global hyper-growth startup operating in travel, media and entertainment. We create stories that reveal what is unique and special about a place, its people and its culture. In-house creative teams work with a global network of more than 300 freelance creators to produce articles, videos, photography, illustration and animation.
From just a dozen people in late 2016, the team has expanded to more than 250. This diverse group of software engineers, product designers, data scientists, editorial experts and content creators are spread across offices in London, New York City and Tel Aviv. Alumni of companies including Google, Facebook, Expedia, Lonely Planet, Spotify, Bloomberg, Viacom, TripAdvisor and the BBC have joined recently. A recent Series B funding injection from PPF Group of $80 million has further propelled rapid growth. Monthly unique visitors to the site have gone from 4 million to nearly 20 million, cross-platform social followers have increased from 1 million to 7 million, and app downloads have leapt from 50,000 to 2 million. Culture Trip videos have been viewed more than 2 billion times. Culture Trip, founded by Dr Kris Naudts, has been named by Forbes as one of the fastest-growing companies to watch.
Everyone working at Culture Trip is driven by a shared vision: to inspire people to go beyond their cultural boundaries and connect with the world around them. We want to bring the world to everyone and in doing so bring everyone closer together.
We are looking for an ambitious and experienced professional to join the Photography Department as a Senior Photo Editor based in our London office. This role will remotely recruit and manage a group of photographers in various cities around the world with a focus on Commercial and Branded content but will have the opportunity to also participate in Editorial content.
You are a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit, you should have a desire to make a real impact on how millions of locals and visitors experience their cities. Your aim will be to help build up our resources of digital image assets for our content teams. You should be able to communicate and collaborate with the writers, Commissioning Editors, Video Commissioners, and Illustration Commissioners in your regional content team as well as the Photo Commissioners in other regional content teams. The ability to brainstorm, ideate, create and execute content plans with your team and work quickly to mobilise around key events, trends and news is crucial. You should be a confident and extremely diligent person with the demonstrated ability to create and improve structures and processes.
You should always operate with scale in mind, establishing robust yet flexible processes to maximise assets and ensure systems can grow quickly and under pressure. You must have a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility and be an enthusiastic and collaborative team player. We offer an independent and dynamic working environment with plenty of potential to make an impact, as well as the opportunity to develop exciting content in cooperation with our departments: commercial, editorial, social media, and tech.
- Recruit and manage a roster of freelance photographers across the world.
- Work in close collaboration, primarily with the Commercial team, to identify projects that would benefit from original photography and strategically commission to freelance photographers as per need.
- Serve as the Photo Department’s main point of contact for the Commercial team with the clearance to delegate work to wider Photo Department as needed.
- Ability to deliver both photo commissions and picture research on Commercial projects.
- Brainstorm ideas for photography-led content and bring these to fruition.
- Produce photo shoots from the ground up both remotely and locally.
- Manage expectations across departments including, but not limited to, Commercial, Marketing and Editorial teams.
- Liaise with Project Managers and relevant stakeholders in order to keep communication flowing.
- Collaborate with wider Editorial content team to brainstorm and execute format and series ideas.
- This role reports directly to the Photo Lead, based in London.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar role in media and/or publishing.
- Superb organisational and people skills are an absolute must.
- Previous community and/or remote management experience is a strong asset.
- On-set production experience required, on-set art direction experience preferred.
- Confidence interacting with clients, photographers and talent, both in-person and over the phone.
- Strong eye for compelling visuals and ideas for content across a variety of locations and interests.
- Exceptional ability to negotiate rates and rights per assignment.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite preferred.
- Familiarity with WordPress or similar CMS ideal.
- Strong understanding of copyright, content licensing laws and IP rights associated with digital assets.
Culture Trip is committed to equality of opportunity for all. We strongly believe that diversity of backgrounds, ethnicities, experience, circumstances, abilities and perspectives leads to a better workplace for our employees and a better product for our users.