Engineering (London) /
Our mission is to inspire people to go beyond their cultural boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and culture, special, unique and meaningful. Together with our users, we take a stand for an open, tolerant and cosmopolitan world. We deeply care about this, and aspire to be creative, sustainable and inclusive in everything we do.
We help our culturally curious audience explore and experience their world, wherever they are, wherever they go, with our award-winning stories and recommendations, and our curated collection of thousands of memorable local and international experiences and places to stay that can now be directly planned and booked via our site and our app.
While travel might be restricted right now, we know that the universal need to experience life never is. That’s why our ‘Stay Safe, Stay Curious’ campaign invites you to explore and experience your own cities and countries, and get outdoors where possible. We have also launched virtual experiences such as online cooking classes with local chefs, museum tours guided by experts and walking tours through much loved cities that you can enjoy from the comfort of your home.
Culture Trip has shown record-breaking growth: monthly unique visitors have gone to 15-20 million, app downloads have leapt to more than 2.7 million, social followers have increased to 8 million (in 2019, we were the fastest growing travel and media brand on social media) and our videos have been viewed more than 2.5 billion times since 2016.
Since 2019 alone, we have won more than 30 awards including 16 Telly awards, 10 Muse Creative awards, 2 Webby awards, 2 Lovie awards, the Travel Media’s Consumer Publication Of The Year Award, and our app was named App of the Day by Apple in the US and the UK.
Culture Trip was founded in 2011 and Dr Kris Naudts spent four years evolving the concept of Culture Trip alongside a small team. Dr Naudts secured seed funding of $2 million in 2015, Series A funding in 2016 when PPF Group invested $20 million and a further funding injection of $80 million in 2018.
As aמ Android Engineer, you will be working in a cross functional team which is responsible for the bookable flow, bookable features and integration with relevant third parties to allow the various booking functionalities in both iOS and Android platforms. You will also work closely with the mobile engineers global team bringing together the right tools, frameworks and techniques to the team. You should be a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit. Above all, you should be creative, passionate and dedicated to building a solid product supported by a great engineering culture.
- Develop features in Kotlin and Java.
- Innovate and create a cutting-edge mobile expereince.
- Integrate with the back-end systems and APIs.
- Work closely with product managers and ux designers.
- Working with Android engineers in other teams to ensure the app’s architecture and design is sound.
- Working and mentor the native mobile engineers within your squad.
- Knowledge of working in an Agile environment (Lean, Scrum, Kanban)
Desired Skills and Experience
- Willingness to learn.
- Experience of building and publishing Android application(s) to the Play Store.
- Solid understanding of the Android framework and its life cycles.
- Understanding of core Android concepts such as layouts, views, fragments, and activities.
- Proficiency in Android Studio and Gradle.
- Experience with Android networking libraries.
- Experience building custom themes, styles and views.
- Understanding of Android Unit Testing and Debugging tools.
- Experience with REST APIs and JSON.
- Experience with Git or other distributed version control systems
Culture Trip is committed to equality of opportunity for all. We strongly believe that diversity of backgrounds, ethnicities, experience, circumstances, abilities and perspectives leads to a better workplace for our employees and a better product for our users.