New York City
Culture Trip is a start-up inspiring millions of people to explore the world’s culture and creativity through a global network of local content creators and innovative technology. Our content reaches over 20 million visitors and 200 million social media users every month, and we recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
Culture Trip was founded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts. After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, we received a seed round of $2 million by top media/tech investors in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20 million Series A investment in summer 2016 and a massive $80 million Series B funding in 2018! Since then, Culture Trip has ramped up its technological capabilities and editorial output, building initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016, we’ve grown to more than 200 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV.
We see ourselves as a tech company at our core, with media and creative work as our output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers, photographers, and illustrators. Within the last few months, our growth across our social media accounts has been in the triple digits, with our Facebook account ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide. Over 20 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (up from 2.5 million MUVs in the early 2017) and more than 1 million people have installed our app.
We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is to bring the world to everyone.
We are looking for an ambitious and experienced editor based in our New York office to lead our team of in-house Genre Editors. You will be managing a team of 13 writers, each an expert in a different discipline and will be responsible for overseeing the editing and publication of articles that that celebrate culture in all its forms and tell stories that entertain, inform and inspire readers each day. You will need to inspire the team and develop a culture that strives for the highest standards, pushing each writer to interrogate ideas fully and deliver outstanding copy to tight deadlines. The ability to brainstorm, ideate, create and execute content plans with your team and work quickly to mobilise around key events, trends and news is crucial. As a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for all things culture, you should have a desire to make a real impact on how millions of people consume content. You must have a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility, and be an enthusiastic and collaborative team player. You will have experience in writing, editing and managing a digital, print or hybrid publication that demonstrable skills in planning and managing editorial processes. We offer an independent and dynamic working environment with plenty of potential to make an impact, and the opportunity to develop exciting content in cooperation with our four departments: editorial, social media, commercial and tech.
- Lead the team of up to 13 Genre Editors, each producing 15 articles a month in their areas of expertise
- You’ll need to recruit and hire Genre Editors for your team, interview and assess their suitability, negotiate and execute their contracts.
- Manage the team, drive and maintain a performance culture in line with the wider business.
- You'll need to coordinate an editorial events calendar in collaboration with the UK Editor, ensuring that our coverage is both timely and topical.
- Work closely with the UK editor and managing editor to align strategies, calendars and drive innovation.
- Edit and sign off articles produced in house with the team, ensuring that all copy meets the editorial guidelines, is compliant with Culture Trip’s tone of voice and style guide and is constantly improving.
- Encourage and oversee collaboration with the leads of other formats and the in-house creative teams, as well as the UK teams across the other offices to ensure a consistent product from all teams.
- Participate in high-value editorial campaigns, generating ideas from your team and producing commissioned content to carry and grow the Culture Trip brand.
- Work with data, measure and monitor the performance of the content created by the US Genre Editors, analyze results and optimize future commissions according to the insights gathered.
- Work with SEO team to identify SEO opportunities, acting on these opportunities by commissioning relevant content.
- Drive editorial process, feeding back improvements and needs, driving new tools and ensuring they are implemented effectively.
- Line manage the US Genre Editor team and lead professional development of individuals within it.
- Oversee the delivery of commercial content including branded content, affiliate content and hotels content.
Desired Skills & Experiences:
- You should have 10+years of managerial and operational experience in media and/or publishing. You must be open to new ways of thinking and operating, always challenging yourself.
- You should be a strong editor with an eye for compelling ideas for inspiring content across a broad range of disciplines and interests. You’ll need to know what makes a good story and coach your team to consistently deliver against this standard.
- You should have a desire to optimize organizational processes and improve operations. Demonstrated experience of implementing editorial developments, and heading up major operational efforts.
- We’re after someone with a record of academic excellence and a degree of intellectual gravitas, combined with a passion for storytelling, culture, travel, food, art, etc.
- Solid experience with data collection and analysis. High familiarity with Google Analytics or Social Media Analytics or any other software is essential.
- Familiarity with WordPress is essential.
- You should have a solid understanding of SEO and be able to work closely with an SEO specialist to capitalize on search opportunities.
- We’re looking for a natural leader of people, an excellent manager who can organize and manage a team of talented, creative people to perform at an exceptional level.
- You will need a self-starting attitude, and you’ll need to be organized, results-focused, consultative but decisive.
- You should be adaptable, flexible, driven, and passionate. You’ll need intelligence and smarts, but also grit and determination. We’re looking for people who have integrity and a sense of personal responsibility.