Jr. Wordpress Engineer
Culture Trip is a global hyper-growth startup operating in travel, media and entertainment. We create stories that reveal what is unique and special about a place, its people and its culture. In-house creative teams work with a global network of more than 300 freelance creators to produce articles, videos, photography, illustration and animation.
From just a dozen people in late 2016, the team has expanded to more than 250. This diverse group of software engineers, product designers, data scientists, editorial experts and content creators are spread across offices in London, New York City and Tel Aviv. Alumni of companies including Google, Facebook, Expedia, Lonely Planet, Spotify, Bloomberg, Viacom, TripAdvisor and the BBC have joined recently. A recent Series B funding injection from PPF Group of $80 million has further propelled rapid growth. Monthly unique visitors to the site have gone from 4 million to nearly 20 million, cross-platform social followers have increased from 1 million to 7 million, and app downloads have leapt from 50,000 to 2 million. Culture Trip videos have been viewed more than 2 billion times. Culture Trip, founded by Dr Kris Naudts, has been named by Forbes as one of the fastest-growing companies to watch.
Everyone working at Culture Trip is driven by a shared vision: to inspire people to go beyond their cultural boundaries and connect with the world around them. We want to bring the world to everyone and in doing so bring everyone closer together.
We are looking for a WordPress Engineer to work on our cross-functional engineering team. We are looking to solve the different challenges involved in scaling our products and content. Experience working in the media industry is a bonus. You should be a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit, able to think outside the box and take initiative. Above all, you should be passionate and dedicated to building a solid engineering culture.
Our mission at Culture Trip is to inspire people to go beyond their cultural boundaries and connect with the world around them. We see our China operation as an integral and important part of delivering on this mission.
Our content and product focuses on what special and unique about a place, its people and culture. We have seen exponential user growth over the last few years to our content and hundreds of millions of people around the world used us last year to plan their trips, but also for local inspiration, or purely for entertainment or enrichment. The business model involves aspects of both the media and travel industries. We will also be piloting an Experiences program through our creator network.
Our values are to Embrace the world, Express yourself, Put the fun in the funnel, Grow relentlessly and make it happen.
- Development of both front-end and back-end services
- Experience in creating WordPress themes and plugins
- Strong understanding of industry trends and content management
- Ensuring that your coding is of the highest quality by engineering best practices (code reviews, pairing, etc)
Desired Skills & Experience:
- 3+ years experience in mobile development
- Experience with building software from scratch into production
- Experience in working in startup environment
- Experienced in PHP, HTML, CSS and JS development, ideally with considerable experience working with complex WordPress projects
- Experience with developing around Rich Text editors, specifically tinyMCE. Acquaintance with Guttenberg an advantage
- Experience with JSON and document-based databases an advantage
- Experience of planning and monitoring software delivery and testing
- Experience integrating third-party APIs
- Understanding of internal and external business requirements
- Proficient understanding of GIT
- Fluent in English and Mandarin, excellent communications skills
- Team player
Culture Trip is committed to equality of opportunity for all. We strongly believe that diversity of backgrounds, ethnicities, experience, circumstances, abilities and perspectives leads to a better workplace for our employees and a better product for our users.