Student Summer Intern 2023
San Diego, CA /
Interns – Summer Internship /
An internship with Cuningham is much more than a chance to experience the day-to-day of being part of a cross-discipline team of designers. We believe the more you know about the business side of design, the practice of performance, and the beauty of regenerative design, the better you’ll be at delivering outstanding results to our clients.
As an intern, you are provided with access to seasoned mentors and managers who bring you along every step of the way. Your learning does not stop at technical skills and training — although there’s plenty of this too. We will teach you how to tell a story and why the design story matters — going beyond concept renderings and redlines to understand the feeling a space invokes and how our work interacts with its environment and community.
Working with us, you will have opportunities to
- Work within interdisciplinary teams to contribute to, design, and develop projects that make a difference in their communities. This will include iterative design development and researching construction materials and methods to support regenerative design outcomes.
- Utilize state-of-the-art technology such as virtual reality, 3D modeling and printing, and gaming engine driven walkthroughs to tell project stories
- Engage in the development of construction documents utilizing AutoDesk Revit;
- Experience construction administration through local construction site visits
- Research and collaborate on emerging regenerative design practices, high performance building analytics, and resiliency planning.
- Learn about an array of project types, go behind-the-scenes of project management, and discover the ins and outs of a national practice through learning opportunities that provide our summer cohort with access to every area of the firm and its leadership.
To be eligible, candidate has
- A strong desire to learn and actively engage project teams, mentors, and other interns around the country;
- Current enrollment in an undergraduate program with a minimum of two years completed, or one year in a graduate program in architecture, interior design, or landscape architecture (accredited programs preferred, but not required);
- Current enrollment in an associate level program in architectural drafting or related program, with a minimum of one year completed.
- Availability to dedicate 40-hours per week for the duration of the 10-week summer program – and interest in a potential opportunity to continue part-time during the academic school year;
- Willingness to be work in-office up to 3-days per week
- Introductory-level proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, and Autodesk Revit.
How to apply, submit
- Resume (in PDF format)
- A letter of interest
- Portfolio samples (no more than 10-pages). If you are including group projects in your portfolio, please indicate your role on the project.
Summer Internship Recruiting Schedule
- Application period: January 9th - February 17th
- Application deadline: February 17th, 2023 (no applications will be accepted after midnight)
- Final decisions communicated: As early as March 27th, 2023
- The 2023 summer internship program runs June 6 through August 11, 2023 (10 weeks). No early or late start dates permitted; interns must be available to participate the full duration of the 10-week program.
Compensation & Benefits
- Internship hourly pay rate: $20/hour
- Benefits include-
- Enrollment in 401k
- $45/month mobility stipend
- Parking/Transit benefit
- Accrual of sick time at the rate of 1 hour per 30 hours worked. Your accrual and use of sick time are governed by Cuningham policy and applicable state and local laws
Together, we create enduring experiences for a healthy world.
Whether we are celebrating at a Spirit hour, nurturing an equitable and just work environment, or delivering regenerative design solutions to restore natural and human systems, each exchange is an opportunity to create a better future and support the health of our talent and communities. Our values are simple and impact every aspect of our practice:
Design the future.
Restore the earth.
Take care of each other.
What can we create together?
Cuningham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the strength diversity brings to the workplace when combined with equity and justice. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, national origin, disability, military, or veteran status.