Chief Operating Officer
Support Services – Firm Leadership
Cuningham Group is seeking a Chief Operating Officer to be responsible for all business operations through leadership and oversight of a firm-wide practice. This role will report to the CEO.
Cuningham Group has substantially grown both organically and through acquisitions in the past decade. The role of COO was established in 2015 to bring the professional practices into alignment with the requirements of a large, dynamic, multi-office architecture firm. This role focuses on the daily operations of the firm including project delivery, management, and support services. The firm is seeking to recruit an exceptional leader experienced in best practices that can continue the progress already made while positioning the practice for continued growth.
This position could office out of one of our following locations; Minneapolis MN, Los Angeles CA, Denver CO.
- Responsible for leading a team of market and support services leaders comprised of Market Group, Discipline, Marketing, Finance, Human Resource, Technology, and Sustainability Leaders.
- Assume overall responsibility and accountability for firm-wide operations including revenue and profit goals and all design practices, design responses, and opportunities to meet the firms’ commitment to the Architecture 2030 Goals.
- Attends and participates in Board meetings/presentations regarding firm performance.
- Establishes and leads Operational Leadership Team.
Education & Work Experience Requirements
- Must have 20+ years of combined practice and operational leadership experience in an exceptional architecture or design firm.
- Demonstrated track record of success in implementing strategic operational concepts to improve design, project quality, and financial performance.
- Prior experience building, leading, and coaching a team of operations and design professionals in a multi-office environment.
- Must have excellent operational and financial management skills with a strong understanding of P/L drivers.
- Exceptional executive presence with a strong understanding and ability to manage multiple complex business issues. Recognized as a key advisor for leadership and capable of setting strategic direction and executing action plans.
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills with the ability to build positive and impactful working relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Licensed or certified design professional with a minimum bachelor’s degree required, MBA would be beneficial.
- Desire and willingness to travel internationally and domestically.
About Cuningham Group Architecture
At Cuningham Group, we strive for excellence by aligning the skills, talents and energies of a diverse group of people. Our team approach creates an energizing and empowering work culture where dynamic, self-motivated individuals thrive in pursuit of the same goal: great sustainable design.
In describing our firm, we like to use words like passionate, collaborative and unpretentious. We can genuinely say that we love what we do, and we provide an environment to have fun doing it! Every day we expect to work hard and laugh often. We are ready to create and innovate. Our shared enthusiasm for design, communication, mentoring, managing, volunteering, teaching (and all things we excel at individually and collectively) allow Cuningham Group to be consistently ranked among the top firms in the industry.