Senior Project Accountant
Minneapolis, MN /
Support Services – Accounting /
Cuningham, an award-winning architecture firm with 6 offices nationally, is seeking a Senior Project Accountant who excels in a fast-paced environment and wants to work as part of an accounting team based in Minneapolis. The Senior Project Accountant will be responsible for the financial process for several firm-wide projects and effectively communicating with Project Managers (PM), Principals-in-Charge (PIC) and Studio Business Leaders (SBLs), regarding contract documents, change orders and other contract modifications and approvals related to financial health; lead invoicing, assist with collections, assist with recovery strategies and provide monthly project review support. We are seeking a team player who has experience working with accounting software packages, preferably Deltek Vision and who has strong project-based accounting experience.
We are not considering candidates submitted by recruiters or recruiting agencies for this role.
What you will do
- Communicate and strategize with project managers regarding project contract changes, fee consumption, earned value analysis, planning, and project invoicing.
- Assist with month-end financial review meetings with PMs and SBLs and preparation of month-end statements and general ledger reconciliations.
- Maintain project revenue recognition documentation.
- Prepare draft invoices for PM review.
- Submit finalized invoices with supporting documentation to clients for payment.
- Review and enter consultant invoices into Deltek Vision.
- Release payments to consultants upon client payment.
- When required, research discrepancies within projects including contract inaccuracies, consultant invoicing differences, and labor rate variances.
- Monitor accounts receivable and work with the PM and PIC to ensure timely client payment.
- Recommend and implement agreed upon invoicing cycle process improvements.
- Prepare special project analyses for the PICs, PMs and SBLs as required.
- Assist with annual audit preparations / request related to projects.
- Develop new processes to better the project accounting process.
- Supervise a two to five person team of Project Accountants.
What we look for
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or commensurate experience.
- Intermediate to advanced excel skills required and experience with accounting software, Deltek Vision preferred.
- 15+ years of project-based accounting experience. Experience in an A/E environment preferred.
- Knowledge of standard contract terms, including hourly, lump sum, not-to-exceed and how they are applied in the invoicing and accrual-based recognition process.
- Ability to work well with others under deadline situations and respond to changes in priorities.
- Good written and verbal communication skills and strong organizational skills.
- Self-starter, ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities and see projects through to completion.
- Employ problem-solving skills and analysis, and report as necessary.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Knowledge of the project structure in a client/consultant business environment preferred.
At Cuningham, we strive for excellence by aligning the skills, talents and energies of a diverse group of people. Our team approach creates an energizing and empowering work culture where dynamic, self-motivated individuals thrive in pursuit of the same goal: great sustainable design.
In describing our firm, we like to use words like passionate, collaborative and unpretentious. We can genuinely say that we love what we do, and we provide an environment to have fun doing it! Every day we expect to work hard and laugh often. We are ready to create and innovate. Our shared enthusiasm for design, communication, mentoring, managing, volunteering, teaching (and all things we excel at individually and collectively) allow Cuningham to be consistently ranked among the top firms in the industry.