Technical Designer | Urban Living Studio
Live/Work – Urban Living
Professional that performs specific assignments under limited general supervision. Works from the design of others and performs architectural assignments. Competent in all conventional aspects of architecture. Performs work requiring independent judgment in evaluation, selection, and adaptation/modification of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria. Independently solves problems encountered. Receives technical guidance and supervisory approval on project documentation.
Qualified applicants should submit a resume, portfolio and cover letter detailing their experience.
What you will do
- Under the supervision of project leadership, develop schematic, design development and working drawing documents
- Identify applicable building codes, zoning regulations, and other jurisdictional requirements and incorporate them into the design and deliverables including review and integration of their work
- Understand and/or facilitate the jurisdictional approval process (entitlements, architectural/design review boards, planning, plan check/permitting, etc.), including specialized reviews due to location or project type
- Understand general principles about building systems and technology
- Research proposed materials, products and details
- Prepare/select product specification data and coordinate with the specifications writer
- Lead design detailing of work and ensure proper completion
- Adhere to and enforce Cuningham Group standards
- Ability to collaboratively resolve complex technical issues with team to produce innovative solutions
- Ability to evaluate appropriateness, quality, and completeness of others work
- Communication skills: provides clear, concise information to others via verbal or written communication; actively listens and learns through observation
- Verbal communication skills: seeks to understand others' points of view looking at verbal and non-verbal cues to encourage open and honest discussions
- Strong problem-solving skills: uses critical thinking to evaluate problems, alerts others to possible problems in a timely manner, and seeks appropriate support to solve problems
- Teamwork skills: capable of working well with others on the team. cross-office, and cross-functionally
- Mentor junior staff; support team members in accomplishing goals and objectives
What we look for
- Technical, vocational or non-professional bachelor’s degree; professional degree (bachelor’s or higher) in architecture or related field preferred
- Five-Fifteen years of industry experience; Multi-Family housing and/or Senior Living preferred
- Able to perform the duties, handle the responsibilities, and has the knowledge, skills, and qualifications of a designer II
- Knowledge of architectural drawings and their organization
- Basic understanding of how to apply building codes and other applicable regulations
- Proficient in Revit, Bluebeam, Microsoft 365. Other skills such as Rhino, Adobe, etc. are desired
- Strong graphic communication skills
About Cuningham Group Architecture
At Cuningham Group, we strive for excellence by aligning the skills, talents and energies of a diverse group of people. Our team approach creates an energizing and empowering work culture where dynamic, self-motivated individuals thrive in pursuit of the same goal: great sustainable design.
In describing our firm, we like to use words like passionate, collaborative and unpretentious. We can genuinely say that we love what we do, and we provide an environment to have fun doing it! Every day we expect to work hard and laugh often. We are ready to create and innovate. Our shared enthusiasm for design, communication, mentoring, managing, volunteering, teaching (and all things we excel at individually and collectively) allow Cuningham Group to be consistently ranked among the top firms in the industry.