Senior Backend Engineer
Bay Area, CA
Engineering – Product Engineering /
Curai Health is an AI-powered virtual clinic on a mission to improve access to care at scale. As the pioneer in deploying machine learning into clinical workflows, Curai Health enables its dedicated, specially trained clinicians to deliver primary care to more people at a fraction of the cost. Easy-to-use and convenient, Curai Health partners with insurers and health systems to keep patients engaged in their care over time, improving health outcomes and reducing costs.
Our company is remote-first and we consider candidates across the United States. Our corporate office is located in San Francisco.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer, focused on backend development, to join the EHR application team at Curai. This team is responsible for building and maintaining our Electronic Health Record (EHR) application, and the business logic which powers care delivery throughout the patient's journey with Curai. This allows us to provide urgent and primary care to patients, and allows clinicians to prescribe medications, order laboratory tests, and more. This team also directly interfaces with our ML team’s services, allowing our clinical staff to operate at the top of their licenses, and works closely with our platform and infrastructure team to build delightful and accessible user experiences atop stable platforms.
What you'll do:
• Write and review code and design documents
• Have a huge role in shaping the present and future of the platform that underpins Curai Health
• Uplevel the team on something you have expertise in: API or system design, cloud infrastructure, (micro)service architecture, healthcare data, or something else entirely!
• Work with a diverse multi-disciplinary team that includes software engineers, machine learning researchers, physicians, product managers, and UX researchers
• Have the opportunity to mentor and unblock teammates and help disambiguate tricky problems so others can run with them
• Shepherd collaborative projects from the design phase through to launch and subsequent iteration across our software stack
• Help build a high-performance and inclusive work environment
• Source and interview diverse talent to build and grow a strong team
What you'll need:
• 4+ years of experience in building and scaling software applications and services
• Coding experience and expertise in Python / Java or similar object-oriented languages
• Expertise in building, maintaining, and working with production-grade systems
• Experience leading multi-disciplinary teams working on complex problems
• Experience in mentoring and growing engineers
• Computer science or similar technical degree, or equivalent practical experience
Who You Are:
None of these individually are hard requirements, but they do describe the type of folks that we think would be most effective and happy at Curai. You...
• Have a strong orientation to Curai’s mission to make high-quality healthcare accessible to all
• Have worked remotely before, or have a strong feeling that you'd work well with a 100% remote team, spread across multiple time zones (mostly US, but also Europe, and Asia)
• Love tackling complex problems that span multiple systems
• Are excited to try things out to validate new features, and move on if they no longer solve a problem
• Are able to work effectively with others. You will be working closely with other engineers, designers, product managers, and data scientists to build product features and high-quality products
• Have demonstrated feature development ownership; you can lead by example and enjoy mentoring and inspiring other engineers
• Value breadth of knowledge as much as specialization
• Have informed opinions that you hold lightly
• Are excited about getting on the speeding train that is a growing startup
• Enjoy thinking through trade-offs, with both mindfulness of near-term needs and Curai’s long-term strategy
• Embrace writing concise documentation so that onboarding new team members is simple and we reduce siloed domain expertise by individuals
• Have acted as a tech lead or have been in a similar, formal management role on an engineering team
The annual base salary range for this position is between $160,000-$210,000. Stock grants also play a key part in any offer, they increase your overall compensation package significantly based on company success. Please note that the base salary range is a guideline, and individual total compensation will vary based on factors such as qualifications, skill level, competencies, and work location.
What We Offer
Culture: Mission driven talent with great colleagues committed to living our values, collaborating and driving performance
Wellness: Unlimited PTO, flexible working hours and remote working options
Benefits: Excellent medical, dental, vision, flex spending plans, and paid parental leave
Financial: 401k plan with employer matching
Curai Health is a startup with a small, but world-class team from high tech companies, AI researchers, practicing physicians, to team members from non-traditional career paths and backgrounds.. We also have research partnerships with leading universities across the country and access to medical data that facilitates research in this space. We are a highly collaborative, data-driven team, focused on delivering our mission with funding from top-tier Silicon Valley investors including Morningside, General Catalyst, and Khosla Ventures.
At Curai Health, we are highly committed to building a diverse and inclusive environment. In keeping with our beliefs and values, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. To promote an equitable and bias-free workplace, we set competitive compensation packages for each position. We are looking for teammates that are mission-driven, embody our core values, and appreciate our transparent approach.