Founding Blockchain Infra Engineer
San Francisco /
At Curio, we’re building the next-generation of games, starting with our first on-chain 4x strategy game. Imagine a virtual world where large-scale battles take place, where players compose smart contracts and invent unseen policy systems over the virtual world's political landscape, and where you may launch economies of your own backed by real currencies, for the empires you lead.
We’re all-in on composability — the ability to let players contribute in-game content in an open manner, through code as well as low-code tools. We are scaffolding the foundation of these future games to come, such as our in-house fully on-chain game engine on the EVM. Thousands of players have already experienced our demo built on top of it. These advancements radically shift the way players interact with the virtual worlds that they hold dear.
We’re backed by the best in the space, including Bain Crypto, TCG Crypto, Robot Ventures, and a team of amazing angels who hail from Niantic, Coinbase, and more. We work in-person in an office in San Francisco. We prefer candidates located in or willing to relocate to the Bay Area, but we also welcome remote candidates with strong fit to what we're building. Join us!
About the role
With player actions sent as on-chain transactions, our games demand a level of throughput yet to be found common in the entire crypto space. As a result, we are looking for a blockchain infra engineer to build and scale our core on-chain game engine and rollup architecture. This includes creative ways to balance on-chain and off-chain computation and storage with composability and player asset security in mind, as well as load testing for corresponding architectural decisions.
$150k – $350k (Salary + equity)
Note: Actual offer will vary based on applicant location/cost of living, skillsets, and most importantly, level of relevant experience.
- Make significant improvements to our on-chain stack including our on-chain game engine in ECS framework.
- Build key components around our custom rollup and data availability architecture as well as its interaction with our on-chain game engine.
- Optimize the engine’s latency and throughput to support tens of thousands of concurrent players.
- Perform load testing, participate in code reviews, write unit tests, and conduct troubleshooting.
- Experience writing high-quality, well-tested Solidity
- Experience deploying, monitoring, and maintaining large-scale production Ethereum/EVM protocols
- Knowledge of the EVM, the major EVM rollup approaches and technical details, and gas optimization
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
Bonus if ...
- Experience with Yul, Huff, Rust, or another low-level language in a blockchain context
- Care about maintaining a clean, readable, performant codebase but also understand when to prioritize speed over standardization
- Experience with Diamond standard and Foundry
- Familiarity or experience working with another well-known blockchain stack such as Cosmos or Polkadot
- Ability to work across the entire stack (React, MongoDB, Node, Heroku, Netlify, Prisma) and take on new frameworks as needed
- Passion for strategy games
- You can join us in person in our San Francisco office
Why join us?
- As an early team member, you will receive highly competitive cash and equity compensations.
- Opportunity to take great ownership and shape the next decade of gaming.
- Be learning and building every day with one of the first and most anticipated teams in the on-chain gaming space.
- Full health, dental, and vision insurance for US-based employees.
Even if the above qualifications aren't an exact match, passionate and enthusiastic people who love to quickly learn are always welcome! Feel free to reach out or apply regardless and we would love to chat.