Senior 4X Systems Designer
San Francisco /
Game Design /
At Curio, we’re building the next-generation of games, starting with our first on-chain 4x strategy game. Imagine a virtual world where large-scale battles take place, where players compose smart contracts and invent unseen policy systems over the virtual world's political landscape, and where you may launch economies of your own backed by real currencies, for the empires you lead.
We’re all-in on composability — the ability to let players contribute in-game content in an open manner, through code as well as low-code tools. We are scaffolding the foundation of these future games to come, such as our in-house fully on-chain game engine on the EVM. Thousands of players have already experienced our demo built on top of it. These advancements radically shift the way players interact with the virtual worlds that they hold dear.
We’re backed by the best in the space, including Bain Crypto, TCG Crypto, Robot Ventures, and a team of amazing angels who hail from Niantic, Coinbase, and more. We work in-person in an office in San Francisco. We prefer candidates located in or willing to relocate to the Bay Area, but we also welcome remote candidates with strong fit to what we're building. Join us!
About the role
We are looking for an experienced 4X systems designer to lead the game progression and asset microeconomics central to our 4X strategy gameplay. This role will involve a lot of responsibility and ownership over our core product. It will be a rare opportunity to pioneer a proven game system on top of a new technological and product paradigm that gives rise to new types of gameplay.
$170k – $350k (Salary + equity)
Note: Actual offer will vary based on applicant location/cost of living, skillsets, and most importantly, level of relevant experience.
- Make a HUGE impact by designing a robust 4X system of game progression and asset microeconomics
- Define, communicate, and be accountable for the creative vision of the project including the core loop and F2P mechanics
- Translate high-level game direction into actionable feature batches, and work closely with the engineering team to ensure implementation correctness and quality
- Help design an appealing and consistently lasting narrative for the game to work in seasons and to encourage asset upgrades
- Shipped a successful 4X strategy game lasting across game seasons as a core systems designer
- Proven experience with 4X strategy/SLG mechanisms and MMO economy design across multiple game seasons
- Strong understanding of F2P systems
- Motivation from problem solving using first principles in addition to existing frameworks, as what we’re building at Curio is a paradigm shift from traditional games
- Understanding of tradeoffs between game features and engineering complexities
- Proactive curiosity for what blockchain can offer to player experience
- Ability to switch frames between high-level vision and low-level execution
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
Bonus if ...
- Broad knowledge and insights in NFTs, DeFi, and current blockchain games
- Understanding of limitations or tradeoffs of crypto, such as throughput and gas cost
- Proficiency in traditional game development workflows with a state-of-the-art engine such as Unity or UE
- Technical experience in game engineering and high-throughput systems
- With a hustler mentality, building side projects is a plus!
- You can join us in person in our San Francisco office
Why join us?
- As an early team member, you will receive highly competitive cash and equity compensations.
- Opportunity to take great ownership and shape the next decade of gaming.
- Be learning and building every day with one of the first and most anticipated teams in the on-chain gaming space.
- Full health, dental, and vision insurance for US-based employees.
Even if the above qualifications aren't an exact match, passionate and enthusiastic people who love to quickly learn are always welcome! Feel free to reach out or apply regardless and we would love to chat.