Founding Full-Stack Engineer
San Francisco /
At Curio, we’re building the next-generation of games, starting with our first on-chain 4x strategy game. Imagine a virtual world where large-scale battles take place, where players compose smart contracts and invent unseen policy systems over the virtual world's political landscape, and where you may launch economies of your own backed by real currencies, for the empires you lead.
We’re all-in on composability — the ability to let players contribute in-game content in an open manner, through code as well as low-code tools. We are scaffolding the foundation of these future games to come, such as our in-house fully on-chain game engine on the EVM. Thousands of players have already experienced our demo built on top of it. These advancements radically shift the way players interact with the virtual worlds that they hold dear.
We’re backed by the best in the space, including Bain Crypto, TCG Crypto, Robot Ventures, and a team of amazing angels who hail from Niantic, Coinbase, and more. We work in-person in an office in San Francisco. We prefer candidates located in or willing to relocate to the Bay Area, but we also welcome remote candidates with strong fit to what we're building. Join us!
About the role
We are looking for a full-stack engineer to build and improve our client and API stack which interacts with our fully on-chain games. Potential tasks include game UI and animations, interactive panels for creating in-game social plugins, and efficient caching for intermediate game states. This role will be a good opportunity to gain experience in client-server interactions of a new paradigm of gaming and blockchain applications focused on composability.
$120k – $350k (Salary + equity)
Note: Actual offer will vary based on applicant location/cost of living, skillsets, and most importantly, level of relevant experience.
- Build and maintain the game client and API layer which interacts robustly with our on-chain game engine.
- Design reliable, high-throughput, low-latency, and scalable server and networking systems that support our games.
- Build key components of the platform for players to create custom plugins.
- Perform load testing, participate in code reviews, write unit tests, and conduct troubleshooting.
- Experience in TypeScript frameworks such as React and Node, which powers our client and backend services
- Familiarity with CSS and web technologies
- Ability to work across the entire stack (React, MongoDB, Node, Heroku, Netlify, Prisma) and take on new frameworks as needed
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
Bonus if ...
- Proficiency with PhaserJS, Unity, or Unreal Engine, or if you have previously worked at a game studio.
- Care about maintaining a clean, readable, performant codebase but also understand when to prioritize speed over standardization
- 2+ years of engineering experience; 5+ years for senior level candidates
- Crypto-native experience with Solidity, Diamond standard, and/or Foundry
- Deep understand of the Ethereum Virtual Machine and/or the major EVM rollup solutions
- Experience building protocols and APIs
- Passion for strategy games
- You can join us in person in our San Francisco office
Why join us?
- As an early team member, you will receive highly competitive cash and equity compensations.
- Opportunity to take great ownership and shape the next decade of gaming.
- Be learning and building every day with one of the first and most anticipated teams in the on-chain gaming space.
- Full health, dental, and vision insurance for US-based employees.
Even if the above qualifications aren't an exact match, passionate and enthusiastic people who love to quickly learn are always welcome! Feel free to reach out or apply regardless and we would love to chat.